Chapter 5

I stood outside Suki's cell with Zuko, trying hard not to imagine what was happening inside. "So the plan now is getting out of here?" I muttered.
                       "I guess so. At least we're saving someone but I have to say, I hate that we weren't able to save...Sokkas dad,"
                    I smirked, "His name is Hakoda."
                    "I definitely won't remember that,"
                    Before I could tease him, a guard approached. Zuko wrapped on the door behind us before stealing a nervous glance at me.
                   "Excuse me," she said as she neared, "I need to get into that cell."
                   "No, you can't go in there!" Zuko said, less than smoothly, "The lights are out."
                   "The prisoner could sneak up on you," I added, trying to save us.
                   She rolled her eyes, "Step aside, fool."
                   The guard reached out, but Zuko grabbed her arm and slammed her against the door. I jumped back.
                   "Hey, hey, what are you doing?!" the guard cried.
                   "I could ask the same thing...guard," I shot at Zuko who shot me a scowl.
                   The guard twisted around to force Zuko off her, "Are you gonna help me?"
                   "Erm...I'm sorry, no," I kicked her legs out from under her, just as Sokka was slipping out of Sukis cell.
                   "Guard, help!" the woman now under Zuko cried, "I think they're imposters! Arrest them!"
                   Sokka came sprinting back, kicking my feet out from under me like I had to the guard, then dragging Zuko up and throwing him against the wall. Before I could stand up, I was being dragged up as more guards descended on us. I caught Sokkas lips moving as he dragged Zuko off too, then the firebender stole a glance over his shoulder at me and gave the barest of a nod.
                   That was all it took to keep me from panicking as I was thrown in a small, dark cell by myself.

                   It seemed an eternity before my cell door was reopened and it was announced we were being put to work. I kept my head down as I mopped the ground floor, my ears straining for any hint of Zuko or the others nearing. Finally I spied Suki nearing me,
                  "Psst, Suki!" I hissed, before retreating behind the stairs.
                  She glanced up and inched nearer with her mop before ducking with me. She threw her arms around me, "Y/N, it's good to see you."
                 "You too,"
                  I wasn't all that close to Suki the short time I'd known her, but I admired her boldness, generosity, and general badassery. And any familiar face here was a blessing. I backed up, "How are you holding up?"
                 "I've been better," she admitted, "But these assholes can't break me."
                 She casts a dirty glance at no one in particular. "I'm much better now that you and Sokka are here. Is it just the two of you?"
                 I winced. Right, she doesn't know  
about—
                 "Y/N!"
                 Unlike Suki and I, Zuko didn't waste time on any act. He picked me clear off my feet, kissing me hard. While our lips were still locked I dragged him back into our corner. "Are you okay? They didn't hurt you, right?" he asked breathlessly.
                 "No, I'm fine. You?"
                 "Ah, just some vague threats, the usual," he shrugged, making me laugh.
                  That's when we noticed Suki staring, a confused look on her face.
                  "Hi...there...Suki," Zuko stammered, rubbing the back of his neck.
                  She opened her mouth to respond, but instead we heard Sokkas voice over our heads, "Oh, good, you two have met."
                  As descended the stairs the rest of the way, Suki corrected, "Acrually we met a long time ago."
                  "We did?" Zuko asked.
                  Suki scowled, "Yeah, you...kind of burned down my village."
                  I shot Zuko a look which he returned with an awkward side-eye before muttering, "Oh, sorry about that. Nice to see you again."
                  Suki turned her scowl on me, "And you two are...?"
                  "Together. Yeah. He's on our side now, I promise,"
                  Whether or not she wanted to complain, I'll never know. Sokka crouched down with us and began, "So, listen, I think I have an escape plan. I checked out the coolers again, and the point of them is to keep firebenders contained, right?"
                  "Yeah..." Zuko pressed him.
                  Sokka continued, "So, they're completely insulated and sealed to keep the cold in. Well, to keep the cold in, it also has to keep the heat out, right?"
                  "Just get to the point, Sokka," Suki snapped.
                  But I understood, "A boat."
                 Sokka nodded, "A perfect boat for boiling water."
                 But Suki and Zuko didn't seem sold. "The cooler as a boat?" Zuko asked, "Are you sure?"
                 Sokka leveled his gaze at Zuko, "I'm telling you. It'll work."