Chapter 2

No one's POV:
The first thing Zuko spotted when they reached the air temple again a couple days later was Y/N racing to meet them. His feet had barely touched the ground after sliding off Appa when she threw herself into his arms.
"I missed you!"
"I missed you. I have so much to tell you,"
Next to them, Katara and Aang were in a similar embrace. "Did you figure anything out?" Katara asked.
"See for yourself," Aang turned and launched a brilliant stream of fire.
Toph's shrill catcall whistle followed, "Something feels scorching hot. Can't be you, Twinkle-Toes."
"Think again,"
"And there's more," said Zuko.

"That's quite the dance you two learned," Sokka muttered.
"It's not a dance," Zuko snapped, "It's a firebending form!"
He looked to Y/N for support. She was holding back laughter, but said, "It looks great, guys."
"What's your little dance called?" Katara asked, ignoring Y/N's comment.
Zuko frowned, feeling his face burn, "The Dancing Dragon."
Everyone burst out laughing at that, including Y/N. She jumped up and took him by the arm, guiding him to the circle, "I'm sorry, babe. I think it's great what you guys learned and experienced, really!"
"And now, you can start teaching me for real, Sifu Hotman," Aang chimed in.
Zukos chest filled with excitement, relief, and anxiety over the prospect—so much so he didn't notice Aang call him Sifu Hotman.

Zuko was well aware he wasn't a gentle teacher. He tried his best to emanate Iroh's teaching, but he knew he didn't have the delicate but firm hand. Aang was a fair student, although sometimes the laziness of a child came out, which Zuko had zero patience for.
"You're doing good," Y/N reassured him almost daily.
To his relief and sheer delight, it seemed most of them were beginning to trust him. But he was still taken back when Sokka drew him aside one evening.
"So what's up?" he asked, anxiously.
"If someone were captured by the Fire Nation, where would they be taken?"
"What do you mean? Who was captured?"
"When the invasion plan failed, some of our troops were taken. I just want to know where they might be,"
Zuko's heart sank, realizing he couldn't be of help, "I can't tell you."
"Why not?"
Zuko turned away, saying darkly, "Trust me. Knowing would just make you feel worse."
He jumped as Sokka grabbed his arm. His voice was thick with desperation, "It's my dad, okay? He was captured too. I need to know what I put him through."
Zuko bit down on his lip and looked away from Sokkas pitiful face. He didn't have to imagine what that felt like. "It's not good," he muttered.
"Please," Sokka begged.
Zuko sighed and forced himself to look Sokka in the eye, "My guess is, they were taken to the Boiling Rock."

"Maybe he won't come," Y/N whispered in the dark, squeezing closer.
"Oh, he's coming," Zuko muttered back.
As if on command, Sokkas face peeked over the edge of Appas saddle. "Not up to anything, huh?" Zuko snapped.
With a yelp, Sokka tumbled back to the ground. Zuko and Y/N peered over the saddle at him, Y/N admonishing, "Zuko, that was mean."
Sokka dragged himself to his feet and brushed himself off, "Fine, you caught me. I'm gonna rescue my dad. Happy?"
"He's never happy," Y/N teased, elbowing Zuko in the ribs.
"Look, guys, I have to do this. The invasion plan was my idea. It was my decision to stay when things were going wrong," he stooped to collect the things that flew out of his bag, "I have to regain my honor. And you two can't stop me."
The two of them jumped off Appa. Zuko advanced on Sokka, "You need to regain your honor. Believe me, I get it. We're going with you."
Sokka looked startled by the proposition for a moment, but shook his head, "I have to do this alone."
"How are you gonna get there?" Y/N scoffed, "On Appa?"
"Last time I checked, prisons don't have bison daycares," Zuko finished her thought, "We'll take my war balloon."
He strode off without another word and Y/N linked arms with Sokka and dragged him along, muttering, "Fine. But you two better keep the face-sucking to a minimum."