Chapter 1

Everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
That's the line, right?
Well, for me it was backwards. For me everything changed when...
I'm getting ahead of myself.
Things were finally looking up for us at the Western air temple. Ironically, I woke up one morning, realizing I had everything I needed.
"That sounds just like Ty Lee," I laughed, feeling Katara's glare and not caring.
Zuko and I had been talking ever since we awoke by each others side for the first time in a month. We went out to collect water for the group, trading stories about what each of us had missed and came back to see them all sitting around the fountain.
"Toph, Y/N was telling me about your scams. I'm impressed," Zuko said as we reached them, sounding slightly nervous.
"Did she tell you about the carriage accident scam?" the Earthbender grinned.
Zuko looked at me questioningly, "She did not."
"That was my favorite!" she cried, before explaining it, making Zuko laugh.
"That's a little evil,"
"Ah, maybe, but the rich fuck didn't need all that cash. Better it go to a worthy cause,"
"Whenever you're all done chatting," Katara interrupted, loudly, "I think it's time you started teaching Aang firebending."
Zuko's face fell, "Ah, right."
Aang rose, "Whenever you're ready, Sifu Hotman,"
"Don't call me that."
    I helped Katara put away the water and snuck off to find Aang and Zuko.
"Mind if I watch you two jerks do your jerk-bending?" Sokka was saying as I approached.
    "Get out of here!" Zuko bellowed, making me jump. "Not you, Y/N," he added, sheepishly, as Sokka passed me mumbling to himself.
    I chose a seat on the wall and watched them while crafting some new arrows. A problem arose very quickly:
    "That one felt kinda hot,"
    "Don't patronize me! You know what it's supposed to look like!"
    "Sorry, Sifu Hotman,"
    "And don't call me that!" Zuko started as I reached him and touched his elbow.
    "Zuko, calm down,"
    "Something's wrong, Y/N. My bending..."
    "Why don't we take a breather, okay?"
    "I don't need a breather! I need—"
    "Zuko," I admonished, taking an audible deep breath.
    He followed suit, shoulder sagging, "Yeah, okay."
    We brought the problem to the rest of the gang that night. The contemplative silence was broken by Katara laughing. The sound grated on my nerves and I could sense Zuko's mix of irritation and embarrassment.
"What is your problem?" I finally snapped.
She fixed her eyes on me, her gaze full of bite even though she was still laughing, "I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony.You know how nice it would've been for him to lose his firebending a long time ago."
"Yeah, yeah, we get that," I said through my teeth, "But right now, we need his firebending."
I looked up at Zuko beseechingly, but he was gazing at his hands. "Maybe it was because I switched sides."
He looked so defeated. I reached out and grasped one hand. I opened my mouth, but I was interrupted by Katara scoffing behind me,
"Oh, please. That's ridiculous."
"Would you please shut up!" I snapped, glaring at her.
"Maybe it isn't ridiculous," Aang spoke up, "Maybe your firebending comes from rage and you just don't have enough anger to fuel it the way you used to."
I flashed Aang a grateful look before murmuring to Zuko, "That's a good thing though. I love less angry Zuko."
I kissed him on the cheek as Sokka continued, "So all we have to do is make Zuko mad?"
He prodded Zuko in the head with the hilt of his sword on Zukos other side, interrupting my kiss. He moved on to Zukos waist before the firebender snapped, "Cut it out!"
Sokka shrugged, dropping his sword, "Worth a shot."
"Even if you're right, I don't want to rely on hate and anger anymore," Zuko looked at me emploringly but with the ghost of a smile.
"I'm sure there's another way,"
"You need to draw your firebending from another source," Toph suggested, "The originally source."
"Right," I said slowly, "Like how the waterbenders learned from the moon? And earthbenders learned from...?"
"Badgermoles," Toph finished for me, adding proudly, "That's how I learned."
We listened to her tell the story and I could picture young Toph crawling around caves with the giant blind beasts. It fit perfectly.
"So who were the original firebenders?" I asked Zuko.
"The dragons. Which doesn't help me much. They're extinct,"
This was news to Aang, but Zuko shot him down impatiently, "They're just not around anymore, okay?!"
I rubbed his shoulder to calm him, and he continued calmer, "The first people to learn from the dragons were the Sun Warriors."
"Could you talk to them?" I asked.
He gave me a mirthless smirk, "They're extinct too. But the ruins of their civilization aren't too far from here."
He turned to Aang, "Maybe we could learn something poking around there."
"So you guys could pick up some Sun Warrior energy from standing where they stood?" I offered.
"More or less," Zuko shrugged, then his face fell, "Either I find a new way to firebend or Aang has to find a new teacher."

    I found Zuko in our room that evening, pacing.
    "You okay?"
    "Do I look okay?" he groaned. It wasn't a challenge—he just sounded tired, "What am I gonna do if I can't bend, Y/N?"
    "We'll figure something else out," I stepped up to him and looped my hands around his neck.
    "That's what worries me. Without my bending, I'm no use to your group,"
    "Zuko, don't say that—"
"It's true. They only tolerate me because Aang needs me. What if things go right back to how they were before? Katara already threatened to fucking kill me if I practically breathe wrong around Aang!"
    "She what!?" I cried, letting go of him and surging for the door, "I'll talk to her, Zuko. I'll—"
    "No, please, don't," he snatched up my hand, "She has every right to feel that way. They have no reason to trust me. You don't trust me. Hell, I barely trust me."
    Istilled myself, forcing myself to take deep breaths and clinging to Zuko's hand. Finally I asked, "Do you want me to go with you guys tomorrow?"
    Zuko looked like he wanted desperately to say yes, but after a moment, he shook his head, "No, I think it should just be me and Aang. These ruins are sacred ground and it'll give me time to—I dunno—bond with Aang."
    I nodded, fighting my anxiety about being separated from Zuko once more, "That's a good idea. I'll wait here for you then with the others."
    Before Zuko could say more, I abruptly dragged him towards the door, "Now, come on, I have something to show you."

I led Zuko through the temple ruins to an isolated room a few levels above the sleeping rooms. A hole had been blown through the wall, letting in moonlight, and in the opening I had cleared away the rubble and laid a few blankets and pillows down and set a few candles on the larger pieces of rubble.
"Wow," Zuko breathed.
"Doesn't it remind you of that night on the beach?"
"Sure, but without the sand...or water," he teased.
I elbowed him, rolling my eyes, "You know what I mean."
"What about the candles?" Zuko pointed to the bare wicks.
"I was wondering if you could do the honors," I smirked.
Zuko touched a fingertip to each wick, one by one, and one by one they bloomed into a flickering orange flame.
"Beautiful," I murmured, "I always loved how you did that."
But Zuko was gazing thoughtfully into the last candle, "Is this going to be all I'm good for? Lighting candles. What if I lose my bending completely? What good am I then?"
He turned to see me sitting on the blankets. I shook my head. So dramatic!
I held out my hand and he let me guide him down to the blankets, before I climbed on his lap, "Bending or no bending, you are so valuable, Zuko. You're still you, you're still the man I fell in love with."
He sighed and pressed his forehead to mine, "I know, I'm just scared."
"I know you are. But right now, let's pretend that we're the only ones in the world, okay? No war, no responsibilities. Just you, me, and the moon."
Zuko gave the ghost of a smile.
"Yes?" I urged him.
Instead of answering, he chuckled, flipping me onto my back so our legs were tangled together and his lips locked onto my collarbone. I closed my eyes against his touch that I hadn't felt in a month as his hands slipped my dress off over my head. I fisted his dark hair and lifted his face so I could kiss him on the mouth and travel my lips over his face, up one side and down the scarred side, feeling Zuko shudder. Getting a similar grip on my hair, he forced my head back and I sighed deeply up at the watching moon.