Seven

Stiles and Scott were talking about Derek's method of teaching and found it lacking. "He tried telling me that the control I have will slip and I'll end up killing someone. This was after he chased me into my house like a mad dog," Stiles tells Scott. "Derek doesn't think I should see Allison. He says she's distracting me." "Well, what exactly did he say? When he caught you, what gave you away?" Stiles asked. Scott huffs, "My heartbeat at first. But then I hid that using car alarms but then Allison called my phone." Stiles was lost in thought. Scott stopped them from walking any further, "I know that look. What are you planning?"

Stiles grips Scott's shoulders, "Your heartbeat? Derek said the shift is triggered through anger and things that elevate our heartbeats. What if you learn not to let your heartbeat rise? That would help you control your shift and you're less likely to hurt anyone." Scott gained a hopeful look, "So? What's the plan?" "When are you meeting with Derek again?" Stiles answered the question with a question. "Today after school," Scott shrugs. Stiles starts walking towards their next class, "Ok, that gives us a few hours." "A few hours for what?" Scott didn't get a verbal answer, just a smirk.

During their free period Stiles dragged Scott onto the Lacrosse field with some gear and several lacrosse balls. Stiles sets everything done then pulls out one of the heart monitors that the track team uses. Scott is confused, "Isn't that one of the heart monitors for track? Is that Coach's cell phone?! Stiles! You stole Coach's phone!" Stiles had Coach's cell phone in his hand, "I didn't steal it. I temporarily misappropriated it." Scott yelled, "That's the same thing!"

"This is not how I wanted to spend my free period," Scott had on his Lacrosse gear with his hands duct taped behind his back. Stiles smirked as he turned on and calibrated the heart monitor, "All you have to do is not get angry, so your heart rate doesn't spike, and you shift. So, keep calm." Scott takes a deep breath, "I don't like this." Stiles is still smirking, "Oh, I know. Ready?"

Scott braced himself for the first hit. Stiles was a little smug as he launched the first ball at Scott's torso. He could tell the ball winded his best friend as he took aim with the next. Which hit Scott in the chest, the next bounced off Scott's helmet. All the while, Stiles listened to the heart monitor as the beeps came closer together showing Scott's rising heart rate. "You need to stay calm, Scott," Stiles launched another ball hitting Scott in the shin. Scott was trying his best to stay calm, but it seemed each hit was harder than the last.

The heart monitor was screaming with how fast Scott's heart was beating. Scott had dropped to the ground after tearing the duct tape and was mid shift. "Scott, you need to calm down. You're shifting." Stiles dropped his stick and picked up Coach's phone to watch the heart monitor. Scott's heart rate was lower, but the new beta was still shifted. Stiles got closer, "Dude, take deep breaths and shift back. You got this." Scott shut his eyes and concentrated on his breathing, eventually slowing down his heartbeat. Stiles exhaled a sigh of relief, "You did it."

Stiles stood up to go return the heart monitor, "I better put this back before the coach finds out." "Too late, Stilinski!" Both betas stood up straight as Coach Finstock walked over to them. "What are you two delinquents doing?!" "Um, experimenting with the effects of Lacrosse training on the heart rate and how to efficiently lower it before the heart could explode from exertion." Stiles made up an excuse hoping it was good enough. Coach Finstock stood there silently for a moment before gesturing for Stiles to give his phone back.

The man didn't have much to say since he really wanted their team to win this year but, "As good of an excuse as that was. It doesn't excuse stealing my phone and one of the heart monitors, which is school property. Both of you have a month of detention where you'll be running suicides until your hearts explode. Now get to class!" Stiles and Scott grab their stuff and rush by the angry coach, "Yes, coach!" The betas missed the slight smile as Coach thought to himself, "Silly pups."