Chapter Nineteen

Finnick nudges Juniper awake apologetically. They left the president's mansion around dawn, and she was given only a few hours to sleep. She's back in the suite she stayed in before she went into the games, before she became a victor. And a murderer.

She slept in a robe, having not been given a set of pajamas.

Finnick, through a collection of yawns, tells her that she must hustle down to the prep rooms because she needs to be fixed up for her final interview before she gets to go home. He explains that this one will be shorter than the recap but longer than the interviews pre-games. It'll cover more general strategy; her emotions before the games, how she approached her training sessions, and etc. It's meant to serve as not only entertainment for The Capitol but as a guide for future tributes, as something to give them a chance.

Juniper is still dressed in her robe when she arrives at a prep room that Finnick has led her to, the boy rambling on about some topic the whole way there, attempting to get her mind off of her sheer exhaustion. Juniper is grateful to hear about something other than her own murderous pursuits.

He bids her goodbye and tells her he'll be in the audience, and that they'll see each other officially next on the train.

As soon as Juniper steps inside the room, she's grabbed by Uma and Germaine, who look surprisingly awake for only getting a couple of hours of rest like Juniper. They plant her in front of the vanity and curl her hair, patting her face with makeup brushes and coating her with scents and setting sprays. This was the face she would wear when she arrived home.

Her makeup is more natural, blush dusted across her cheeks and nose, glitter just touching her eyelids.

Beau steps in when Uma and Germaine are done, brandishing a navy minidress that puffs out at the waist. It has thin straps and a sweetheart neckline. There is gold dotting the tulle of the skirt, just subtly enough that it catches the casual viewer by surprise when Juniper moves. Beau even gives her the most minimalist version of a golden halo crown. The outfit is completed by Max and Penelope's ribbons, still tied securely to Juniper's ankles. Dressed in darker colors than her first interview with Caesar, Juniper is the picture of a seasoned victor, though her games ended just about twenty-four hours ago.

Juniper watches herself in the mirror as Beau buckles her shoes, a pair of golden platform heels. "Beau you continue to outdo yourself."

"Are you trying to charm me?"

"And so what if I was?" Juniper jokes, but there's no heart in her words, the girl is lost in her own head.

"Well I would object, given that you're only fifteen."

"What, an esteemed Hunger Games victor isn't your type?"

"I wouldn't say so." Beau finishes clicking the heels and stands, brushing off their pants. "You're all done."

"I sure am." Juniper sighs.

Beau puts a hand on her arm. "You'll get to go home soon."

"Not soon enough."

A knock comes on the door.

"I guess that's my cue." Juniper turns to Beau. "Thank you. For everything. I couldn't have made it this far without you."

"You continue to amaze me, Juniper Calloway." Beau cups Juniper's cheeks with their hands and delicately plants a kiss on her forehead, drawing back after just a moment. "Enjoy your freedom in District Four. Do things just because you can. Do things just because you're alive."

Juniper gives Beau a warm smile. "Bye, Beau."

"Bye Juniper." Beau shoots Juniper a small wave of their fingers, before exiting the room. Juniper is left alone before the mirror. She sighs, spinning around, taking in her appearance. This would be her last lavish dress, her last luxurious outfit before she would return to the cotton clothes of District Four. And that doesn't bother her one bit.