Chapter Nine

Ceasar Flickerman is perhaps more peacock than human. And Juniper intends to exploit that in any way she can. With banter, compliments, and enticing innocence, Juniper plans to win over the capitolites while letting herself seem as incompetent as perceived.

She taps her foot absentmindedly, looking at herself in the mirror surrounding the platform she stands on. She makes sure to take in every inch, every blemish, every curve. After tomorrow, perhaps none of it would be the same.

The door creaks open, and in walks Beau, brandishing Juniper's interview dress. Juniper gasps at the sight, bringing two hands up to her face in awe, letting Beau start putting her in it instantly.

It's a beautiful piece. The color is the seafoam teal of District Four, ensuring that the audience doesn't forget where she's come from despite her innocence. The sleeves puff up, and the neckline is just high enough to leave things to the imagination, taking on a classic baby doll style, tulle spilling. Its waistline is high up and the hem is at a point reasonable enough to appear on live television. The gorgeous heels she's been put in are Mary Jane heels, straps snaking up her calves like ballet slippers, golden color shining like the sun and sand. Ornate jewelry crawls up her wrists and twists around her neck. The look comes together with Juniper's hairstyle, which lets the blonde locks spill over her shoulders, teal butterfly clips pulling back the first few strands of hair on each side of her head elegantly.

"Beau you have seriously outdone yourself," Juniper says breathlessly, spinning slowly in the mirror in front of her, absorbing the image in front of her. She must savor these chances to feel beautiful while she still can. "God, I don't know what to say."

"I sure hope that's not true. You're already running late for your interview." Beau responds, smirking smally as they admire their work. Dressed in a purple power suit, Beau is a sight to behold themselves.

Juniper reaches over and takes Beau's hand in her own squeezing softly and relaying everything she wants to say. Everything that goes unsaid. Everything she feels knowing that Beau will be the person to see her into that arena tomorrow.

"Okay." Beau retracts their hand slowly, a sad smile ghosting across their face. "It's time for you to get up there and kick ass. I'll be right there in the audience for you."

"I'll be sure to search for your face."

Beau bids goodbye, turning quickly and striding out, leaving Juniper alone to take a few moments for herself before she's placed on display. The blonde turns back to the mirror, taking one more look. In her eyes, she sees her father, but in her face, she sees her mother. She wonders if Wren Calloway would be proud. She wonders if she's watching her now.

There's a banging on the door, and Juniper barely reacts to it, glancing over absentmindedly. Sighing lowly, she steps off the platform she's on, wobbling slightly in her heels as she walks over to the door. Behind it is a peacekeeper, ready to escort her to the line of tributes, all awaiting their turn in the hot seat.

Finnick asked Juniper if she wanted him to stay backstage and keep her company, meeting her to debrief after the interview had been completed. She declined the offer, instead preferring him to sit front row, right behind one of the cameras she'll be dopily grinning into. That way she can look at him rather than the unseen eyes peering greedily at their too-big television screens.

The peacekeeper doesn't touch her as she glides out of the room, breezing past him and his masked face. He shadows her like a ghost as they walk, him slipping to lead as he realizes that Juniper doesn't completely know where she's going.

Before long they arrive at the line of tributes all awaiting their turn, some tapping their feet nervously, some playing with their hair. Both District Twelve tributes are still missing, and a few others meant to be towards the back are gone as well. Tetra and Dane have disappeared as well, but Juniper deduces that Dane is simply waiting in the wings for Tetra to finish up her interview.