Chapter Five

Being prodded and poked and pressed is not exactly how Juniper wants to spend today. But now there are lots of things that she has no voice in.

There are tributes to her left and to her right, everyone stripped naked and forced to present themselves. In the coming days, every person in this building will be made vulnerable and picked apart by the bloodthirsty public. This is an adequate start.

The attendants take the ribbons from her hair and reassure her that they're just passing them on to her stylist when she begins to get upset. They wash and preen her as if she's more object than human. They don't bother to introduce themselves yet but Juniper knows they'll be her team, giggling and gossiping while they work.

Eventually, she's laid in a room with lights that hurt her eyes, and are more white than the golden sun that she's used to. She waits on her back, hands clasped over her stomach, dressed in what is basically a blue plastic bag, covering her extremities and making her shapeless.

The doorknob turns and in walks a person with monolid eyes, dark like coal. Their hair matches, black and cut into a mullet-looking style, mussed over their eyes. They're wearing a touch of something that makes their lips look glossier, sparkling in the light. They're dressed in a black top that's pulled tight over their slim figure, exposing their pale belly button. The maroon blazer they're wearing on top classes up the outfit, along with the matching red slacks that fall comfortably over their combat boots.

"I've just been talking to one of your mentors outside, Juniper." Their voice has a slight edge, low and raspy. They slide their hands in their pockets as Juniper sits up to greet them. "He let me in on this whole shtick you're planning, and I've gotta say, I'm not sure what I was expecting when I watched your reaping, but it wasn't this." They stick out a hand that has fingers draped in silver rings. "I'm Beau and I'll be your stylist."

Juniper offers her hand in return and shakes Beau's firmly. "Glad to have you on the team."

"I know this isn't the situation you've been hoping for, but at least you're somewhat prepared for it."

"I try," Juniper replies drily.

"Now you understand the impact that I make?"

Juniper nods. "You pick my clothes, you decide whether I stand out or blend in, whether I'm sultry or innocent."

"Yes, that's exactly right. The clothes I have planned for you for this parade will showcase your district and help you pop. The innocence is mainly up to you and your mannerisms, and I'm sure you'll be able to follow through."

"Oh, of course, don't worry about that."

"I'm not worried at all Juniper." Their eyes flash and their lips quirk up. "Not at all."

─── ❖ ── ✦ ── ❖ ───

The dress Beau wraps her in is the most exquisite thing that Juniper has ever seen. It's short in the front and long in the back, train at her heels. It puffs up and is a sea shade of baby blue. The tips of the ruffles are speckled with white as if the spray of the ocean is eating at the bottom of the fabric. The ends are shaped like waves, twisting and turning like unruly waters, standing up in clumps of poofy material. The ruffles on the straps are similar, while the corset is made of tight gold webbing, crisscrossing both like a net and the scales of the prey it catches. The holes are tight, and the tan layer of privacy fabric that Beau has laid beneath covers everything that Juniper doesn't want to be shown. The neckline is just high enough to cloak any cleavage, so the only enticing patch of skin that isn't covered is her tanned legs, glistening and golden, looking long in the gladiator sandals she's been put in.