Chapter Six

"Okay..." Finnick closes the door behind him once all three are inside. "Thoughts?"

Each of them is clutching a notepad, and Juniper starts flipping to the front of hers furiously.

They've just migrated to Finnick's bedroom from the living room, where both mentoring teams were sitting on opposite sides of the couch, watching all the reapings and a recording of the parade. Nobody spoke except for occasional whispering coming from either team.

It's strange how they can talk so civilly at dinner and then split off again right after as if they're putting on a show with no clear audience. Nobody understands why they're performing, they just know that they are.

Juniper takes a moment to scan Finnick's room. It's similarly styled to hers, gilded and giant. The bed is huge and it's in the middle of the room, a large screen on the side which is turned to the same image of the beach that Juniper has projected in her own bedroom. His sheets are green and neatly pressed.

"Alright let's start with District One," Mags announces. "Dane Langley, the male tribute. He's eighteen and volunteered, as is expected with careers."

"He looked pretty burly at the reaping," Juniper observes.

"Yes, but I think all his brain mass went to his muscles. Did you see him bark?" Finnick adds.

Juniper giggles at the memory. After he volunteered he stood at the front of the stage and flexed his muscles for a few moments, while barking like a madman. Their escort had to lead him away and even then he kept angling his arms to the audience. "Oh good god it's still all I'm thinking about. And at the parade he kind of just stood there, nodding his head, mumbling to himself."

"Do we think he's genuinely unwell or just egotistical?"

Mags shrugs. "Either way, it'll be his downfall. In any case, if he gets his hands on you he can squeeze your life out so stay sharp. Play it smart and he'll go down quick."

Juniper nods, noting that down under Dane's name.

"The female," Finnick announces, scanning his notes. "Tetra Hayes. Also eighteen, also a volunteer."

"Eyes like a hawk from what I can tell. She was smirking at the reaping, and waving teasingly at the audience as if she's got a secret to keep. Looks like she's going fierce and sultry." Juniper contributes.

"I heard through the grapevine that her specialty is spears." Mags muses.

"Alright that's good long-range, and she's got the height to handle it. But in short combat, it'll be slower than anything I'm used to using."

"Good, so try and get up close and get her down fast. A few swipes and she'll be dying before she realizes what's going on."

A part of this entire conversation is comical. Two fifteen-year-olds and one elder discussing the best way to kill children. Juniper shudders. How downhill can their world go that monstrous acts like these can be considered lighthearted, and be casually discussed?

"Onto the other half of the career pack," Mags looks down at her notes. "Barrett Gray, seventeen and volunteered. His body is a little like Arden's, lanky with muscles."

"This likely points to expertise with a weapon rather than a trust in brawn." Juniper finishes.

"He's tall, so he'll probably find it easier to use a larger weapon, like a spear or trident. Depending on muscle mass, perhaps even an axe." Finnick theorizes.

"He's playing it god's gift to man. After volunteering he stood in the center of the stage, thrust out his arms, and turned slowly in a circle with his head in the air as if letting the crowd relish. Textbook narcissist, easy to break with mind games."