Chapter Ten

Mags gently wakes Juniper with a sad smile, telling her softly that it's time for her to get ready. Juniper nods, not letting anything concrete crack her tough exterior. It's time for her to get her head in the game.

The peacekeepers have left them their uniforms, and Juniper assesses the white one-piece before slipping it on, taking in what she can about the arena she'll be trapped in. The waffle weave texture is surprisingly warm, and the thermal nature gives Juniper the hint that they'll be dealing with cold temperatures. She's slightly shocked when Mags passes on more clothing that's been delivered, a pair of navy surprisingly sleek and tight waterproof pants, and a white long-sleeve shirt that seems slightly more substantial than the long johns. Juniper assumes she'll be receiving more outerwear later as if the arena calls for something waterproof, it's likely she'll be dealing with snow. She would have assumed that The Capitol doesn't want to waste money on extra clothing, and would rather just send the tributes to figure out a way to survive the temperatures by themselves. But then again, everyone freezing to death wouldn't be a very entertaining show, would it?

Their breakfast is a quiet affair except for Hollis whispering hurriedly in Arden's ear the entire time, him brushing her off easily as he eats. Finnick thinks Juniper doesn't see him watching her, but she takes in every look, every far-off stare with a pang of fear in his eyes. Mags watches her too, like she's cattle headed to the slaughterhouse. Every mentor is drinking in what may be the last they see of their tribute.

The avoxes clean up the plates, and Juniper and Arden both disappear to the bathroom in the last few minutes they have left in the tribute suites, each taking their time to sit alone while they can. When Juniper emerges, her face is a void, serene and expressionless. Finnick informs her that he'll be escorting her out to the jet where they'll set off to the arena. Beau will meet her there and bid the final goodbyes Juniper will be receiving before it's time for her to fight for her life. Arden and Hollis have gone ahead already, likely wanting to speak in the elevator, as well as have their own goodbyes separate from the others. Juniper isn't complaining.

She kneels to pull on her shoes, a pair of water-resistant ankle boots that are furry on the inside, and have soles made to keep the wearer from slipping. Finnick reaches a hand out to help her up, but she only briefly touches his fingertips, letting him know that she doesn't need his assistance.

Once she's situated, she sighs, turning around to face Priestley, who's dressed in an all-black outfit, as if ready to attend a funeral at a moment's notice.

"Oh, my dear..." He says quietly, before yanking her into a hug. He squeezes a little too tight, but Juniper says nothing, weakly putting her arms around him and rubbing his back twice. She finds it comedic that it looks as if she's comforting him.

The last goodbye is Mags's. The sweetness and pity on the woman's face is enough to make Juniper want to bury her face in Mags's shoulder and just cry and cry. Their hug is gentle, Mags's old hands shaking. Despite that, the woman's arms are so comfortable that it takes Finnick's tentative hand on Juniper's back for her to pull herself away. Juniper meets Mags's eyes carefully. She murmurs a thank you, hoping it sounds as genuine as she wants it to. Mags reaches out a hand and touches Juniper's cheek. Before Juniper can lean into it, the elevator arrives.

Finnick steps in behind her, and before she even has time to turn around, the doors shut tight with a ding. Luckily, it's just Juniper and Finnick occupying the elevator. She hopes it stays that way.

The silence doesn't fester, as both know they don't have much time left.

"Juniper, what's your favorite color?"

Juniper blanches. It's not the words she is expecting. "Um..."

"Just answer."

"Okay..." She considers her answer for a moment, considering the buttery yellow of the sunset, the blueish-green of the sea. "Violet." Blue and purple combined. Max and Penelope's favorites.