Chapter Twelve

"So," is all that Juniper can think to say.

This makes Arden smirk for some reason. "So."

"What's got you so cheeky?"

"Just you attempting to start a conversation."

Juniper narrows her eyes. "Well excuse me for being unsure how to discuss the fact that only one of us will make it out of this alive."

"Yeah, me," Arden states, as if it's obvious.

Juniper scoffs. "So humble."

Arden shrugs. "Listen, I've been training for this literally my entire life."

"So have all the careers."

"Yeah well. I'm better."

"And why are you so sure?"

Arden just chuckles under his breath quietly. "Just am. You're telling me you're not thinking the same about yourself?"

Juniper turns away from him at his cockiness, expression unreadable. "I might have when I was thinking a little more optimistically about my fate. But... I don't think any of that was real. I don't think any of that felt real until I got here. I'm not sure what I'm thinking now." The rapidly setting sun is painting the snow golden.

"Want me to baby you and say I think you'll win? I don't."

"Well, that's clear."

"You can drop the innocence act. Was any of that even you?"

Juniper shrugs. "Some. That's what makes it believable. Well, all of this is really just some. That goes for everyone here."

"How so?"

"I just mean I don't think all of us here spend our spare time at our districts slaughtering children. Fighting, perhaps. Fighting for food, probably. Killing anything other than animals? Doubt it."

"Seems you have high opinions of us all," Arden jokes.

"What? You disagree."

"Nah. I think you're right."

"Wow, what a blow to your pride. Congrats on admitting that."

"Funny."

Juniper cracks a smile before it dissipates quickly at the sound piercing the air. A scream. Feminine and shrill, it stops as soon as it starts. A cannon is the next to break the atmosphere.

Arden huffs, a grin adorning his face. "One less to worry about."

Juniper glares at him. "Do you have any respect for these kids? Any at all?"

"Oh come on, don't act all high and mighty, as if you're bringing honor to their names. Don't act as if I didn't just watch you kill someone whose name you didn't even remember."

"Himbry."

"Whatever. Whatever it is, let it go. If you want to survive, you've gotta forget their names and forget you care. There's no moral compass allowed in the arena."

There's no moral compass allowed in the arena. No feeling. Juniper exhales, trying to let herself go numb. Her plan, her plan, her plan.

"Did you learn that from your career buddies?"

"You know I am a career. I was raised in the facilities, just like them. Don't treat me like I'm separate."

"Why the fuss, you compensating for something?" Juniper quips, making Arden scoff. "And why do you keep saying that?"