01

—- FLASHBACK

March 3rd, 2020

5.2 seconds on the clock. 59-60. Hopkin's girls basketball team is down by 1 in the final moments of the last quarter.

The gym is packed full of people of all ages, parents, grandparents, scouts, and students from both teams, chanting at one another in a moment of aspiration.

Leighton Prince chews her nails nervously on the sideline, wearing her favorite uniform, all blue with white striping on the side, with "Hopkins" stretched across her chest. Her teammates were doing cheers for the student section, but Leighton was too focused on something else. She was watching her. Her best friend, super-star Paige Bueckers. Paige and Leighton had been best friends since 5th grade, when
Paige discovered Leighton cheering extra loud for her during recess, whenever Paige played basketball. After recess was over, "We're gonna be best friends," was the response that came out of Paige's mouth.

Leighton loved watching Paige play basketball. Often times, she forgot to cheer. She got too distracted. However, Leighton believed everyone felt this way. Paige had a way of making someone go into a trance whenever she played basketball. Her quickness and efficiency compelled you to glue your eyes on her and only her.

Leighton studied Paige as they all huddled during time-out. Coach Cosgriff was talking intensely fast. Paige listened closely, and Leighton could practically see the gears turning in her head. The play by play preview that Paige had already come up with. That's just how good she was. Paige bit her lip as the ref blew his whistle, signaling that time-out was over. Walking onto the court, Paige made eye-contact with Leighton. The two best friends gave a small smile and mouthed, "I love you," something they had always done. It gave each of them a motivation only they could provide each other.

The opposing team, Southside, had possession of the ball. One of their players made an attempt to bounce it off of Paige's leg, but she was too quick. Paige grabbed the ball and took off to the opposite side of the court. Paige's legs were moving faster than anyone could comprehend. With just 1.4 seconds left, Paige made a layup, winning the game for Hopkins. The gym erupted in chaos and utter happiness for the nail-biting win that Paige earned. The student section, cheerleaders, and some parents ran onto the court jumping up and down in celebration. Leighton stayed behind, watching from a distance. Paige weaved her way through the crowd, searching for the brunette girl. When they found each other, Leighton ran into Paige's arms, giving her the biggest hug she had ever managed. Paige picked her up and spun her around. The two best friends were so happy for each other.

"Good job all-star," Leighton said.

"Thanks Prince," Paige returned, "I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

"1st period. I'll be there."

"Remind me later to tell you my decision for college ball, I think I've made my choice." Paige yelled.

"I will!" The brunette yelled in return, putting on her "Bueckers" letterman jacket Paige had given to her, and walked out of the chaotic gym.

————————————————————————

149 likes, 2 comments paigebueckers  isn't she pretty

paigebueckers  isn't she pretty

tagged: leightonprince

march 2nd, 2020

leightonprince love you p!

azzi35 my favorite bestfriends

—————————————————————

they so in denial