23. The Hunter's Gambit

As Aiden and Luca roamed through the bustling streets of a nearby town, their eyes peeled for any sign of a worthy challenge, they stumbled upon a weathered poster tacked to a bulletin board. The poster bore the announcement of a prestigious tournament—a battleground where hunters could test their mettle against one another in pursuit of glory and riches.

"Look, Luca," Aiden exclaimed, pointing excitedly at the poster. "This could be our chance to prove ourselves and claim victory!"

Luca studied the poster intently, nodding in agreement. "Indeed, Aiden. A tournament of this caliber would provide us with the challenge we seek."

Their eyes scanned the fine print, which outlined the rules and regulations of the tournament. Only D and C rank hunters were eligible to participate, making it the perfect opportunity for Aiden and Luca to showcase their skills.

"But we'll need one more member to form a team of three," Luca mused, his gaze sweeping the crowd in search of potential allies.

Just then, a figure clad in worn armor and adorned with rugged gear caught their attention. The newcomer approached them with a confident stride, introducing himself as Drake.

"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation," Drake said, his voice tinged with a hint of eagerness. "I'm looking for a team to join the tournament."

Luca regarded Drake with a scrutinizing gaze, assessing him for any signs of capability. "Are you a C rank hunter?" he inquired.

Drake hesitated for a moment before answering, "Yes, of course."

But before Luca could press further, Aiden interjected, a note of skepticism in his voice. "You're not being entirely truthful, are you? You're actually a D rank hunter."

Drake's facade faltered, his expression shifting slightly under Aiden's keen observation. "Well, yes," he admitted reluctantly. "But I have the skills to compete, I assure you."

Aiden exchanged a glance with Luca, silently communicating his doubts. "We need someone we can trust," Aiden insisted, turning to Drake. "If you're willing to be honest with us, we'll consider teaming up with you."

Drake hesitated for a moment before nodding solemnly. "Very well, I apologize for the deception. I may be a D rank hunter, but I'm determined to prove myself in this tournament."

As the trio discussed their strategy and prepared for the upcoming challenge, Drake shared some crucial information about the tournament's grand prize—an astounding sum of 100 million credits, enough to secure the finest gear, weapons, and equipment money could buy.

With their sights set on victory and their resolve steeled by the promise of riches, Aiden, Luca, and Drake set out to train and hone their skills, determined to emerge triumphant in the tournament of hunters.