3. The Ranks Revealed

As Aiden stood victorious amidst the fallen creature, a sense of pride swelled within him. Yet, his triumph was short-lived as a fellow hunter emerged from the shadows, drawn by the sounds of battle.

"That was quite a fight," the hunter remarked, his voice tinged with admiration as he approached Aiden.

Aiden turned to greet the newcomer, a smile gracing his lips. "Thank you," he replied, his gaze meeting the hunter's curious eyes.

"May I ask what rank you are?" the hunter inquired, his tone laced with curiosity.

Aiden hesitated for a moment, unsure whether to reveal his lowly F rank. But he knew there was no point in hiding the truth.

"I'm an F rank," Aiden admitted, his voice tinged with resignation.

The hunter's eyes widened in disbelief. "But that creature you just defeated was a D rank," he exclaimed, his shock evident.

Aiden shrugged nonchalantly, dismissing the significance of his victory. "I suppose I got lucky," he replied modestly.

But the hunter shook his head, his expression grave. "Luck had nothing to do with it," he insisted. "You fought with skill and determination. That's no small feat for an F rank."

As the hunter spoke, he reached for the collar of his shirt, revealing a mark etched into his chest—a symbol of his own rank, C.

"Take a look," he said, gesturing for Aiden to inspect the mark.

Aiden obliged, his eyes widening in surprise as he took in the intricate design. "C rank," he murmured, a note of admiration in his voice.

The hunter nodded, a hint of pride in his gaze. "That's right," he confirmed. "And if you were able to defeat a D rank creature, that means you're at least as strong as a D rank yourself."

Aiden frowned, his mind racing with the implications of the hunter's words. "But there's still a huge gap between each rank," he pointed out. "I may be as strong as a D rank, but that doesn't mean I stand a chance against someone like you."

The hunter nodded in agreement, a knowing smile playing at his lips. "True," he conceded. "But there's only one way to find out for sure."

Aiden's eyes narrowed, a spark of determination igniting within him. "Are you suggesting a battle?" he asked, his voice tinged with excitement.

The hunter chuckled, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "Why not?" he replied, his tone challenging. "Let's see if you're as strong as you think you are."

Aiden's heart raced with anticipation as he accepted the challenge, his mind already formulating strategies for the impending showdown.

And as he squared off against his newfound companion, the thrill of battle coursing through his veins, Aiden knew that this would be a test unlike any other—a test of strength, skill, and the unyielding spirit of a hunter determined to rise above the ranks and claim his rightful place among the elite.