Chapter 1 The Night After

Next night after the verdict and Liam's death, Drake, Maggie and Maxwell take some time to calm down and let go a little

Drake- it's been a long day, why don't we three go out for dinner?

Mags- yes, I can have the sitter stay with the kids tonight.

Max- idk guys. I.. kinda want to be alone.

Dr- c'mon Maxwell, first round is on me!!

Mags- Drake's offering to buy you a drink.. let us cheer you up!

Max- okay..

Mags- great! I'll call the sitter, Max, and pack a bag for Anna.

**The three of them go to one of Cordonia's biggest bars. Maxwell doesn't get out much since becoming King. He's feeling a little empty, emotionally and physically. As Drake grabs a table, Maggie runs into an old friend.

Mags- omg Emma??? What are you doing here?!

Emma- Maggie?! It's been so long!! I'm here trying to find my muse..

Mags- it's so good to see you! Oh.. this is my dearest friend and King, Maxwell!! Maxwell, this is my childhood friend Emma!

Max- it's nice to meet you Emma.

Eve- you too.. King Maxwell?

Max- Maxwell is just fine. No need for formalities.

Mags- Emma we were about to have dinner, why don't you join us?

Emma- I don't want to impose...

Max- I insist!

**They find Drake and start with a round of drinks. Emma is a childhood friend of Maggie. Last year Maggie and Emma went on vacation to the Bahamas for a girl's only getaway. Emma is a well known artist. She paints, draws and sculpts. She travels a lot and has had bad luck in the love department. She is kinda dorky and shy. She mostly keeps to herself and her research.

It's almost like kismet when she met Maxwell. 2 people needing to get out and have some fun. But Maxwell can't stop thinking about what Riley said in court.

After all they've been through as friends and maybe wanting more, Riley lied. Maxwell has a hard time letting anyone in, truly in. And he thought he and Riley had trust. She broke that.

Night goes on and Maxwell starts to let down his wall. Emma isn't like anyone he's ever met. She's different, a lot like him in many ways. She too lost someone at a young age.

Drake is able to break the ice by talking about their childhood at the palace and getting into mischief.

Dr- it was always Maxwell getting me into trouble. I was a quiet child.

Max- haha you were not! Far from it! Who was it that put Bertrand's shoes in honey and then froze it?

Dr- that was you Maxwell!

Max- oh... that's right...

Evie- sounds like you guys had a blast as kids.

Dr- we did. Maxwell and I have always been like brothers. Always.

Max- thank you Drake, you've been a great brother..

**They carry on having such a good time. Drake & Maggie decide to head home and Emma and Maxwell stay behind.

They talk more about their past. Maxwell tells Emma about his wife & daughter and how his wife died. Both having hurt in their past and in need to feel something other than pain.. They decide to go to Maxwell's house.

They start with another drink as they try to unwind.

Emma makes the first move, but Maxwell is hesitant.

Emma- we don't have to do anything you don't want to. I can go, or we can just talk.

**Maxwell interrupts her and kisses her hard. With a quick move Maxwell pins Emma on the couch.

Evie- should we move this somewhere else?

Maxwell- how about a bubble bath?

**Leading each other into the bathroom upstairs, kissing each other along the way and removing their clothes. Maxwell starts the bath and Evie adds the bubbles. Still kissing they get in the bath, they settle in the water and Maxwell pulls Evie on top of him..

Max- is this okay?

Emma- god yes!!

**Emma adjusts herself, as they make a connection. As they start to move, slow at first and they start to pick up the pace, both enjoying it. The doorbell rings. They didn't hear at first, then it rang again.

Max- ugh, I have to answer it..

**Maxwell grabs a towel and runs down the stairs and answers the door. To his surprise it's Riley.

Max- uhh what are you doing here?!

Ril- Maxwell I've been texting you and calling you!! Please let me explain about what happened at court!

Max- you lied, I have nothing more to say to you!

Ril- How are we supposed to work together?! You won't even let me explain why!!

Max- I will be professional while we work together, always.

Ril- So there is no longer an "us"?

*Just as Maxwell is about to answer, Emma comes downstairs soaked and covered in bubbles from their bath.

Emma- Oh Maxwell... I'm waiting... (she stops before finishing her sentence, she quickly returns upstairs)

Ril- AND WHO IS THIS??!!

Max- She is no concern of yours! I want you to leave Riley.

Ril- I can't believe you would do this!

Max- I can't believe the things you do either.

Ril- So this is just payback??

Max- No, this is me moving on!

*Riley shakes her head and leaves, slamming the door behind her. Maxwell takes a deep breath and goes back upstairs. He sees that Emma is dressed and he's disappointed.

Max- I really am sorry about that.

Evie- I didn't mean to cause any trouble.

Max- You didn't. Don't worry. What happened isn't your fault.

Emma- I feel like I should go..

Max- If you want to go, I won't force you to stay, but I'd really like you to!

Emma- What about that woman?

Max- She & I were never in a relationship. We were close and we both wanted more, but it never happened.

Emma- If you're sure..

Max- Get over here and I'll show you...

**Maxwell undresses Evie and they start over again. Enjoying the night and then falling asleep in each other's arms until dawn.