Chapter 27

"Sky"

Ed ran towards Skylar as soon as she had stepped out of the wrought iron gates. He was standing leaning on the jeep, looking troubled and the others were waiting inside. Skylar stumbled into Ed's outstretched hands as he neared her. She stumbled not because of any pains in her body, but because of the ache she had in her heart. Leaning over Ed's hands, Skylar slowly looked up at him. His eyes were scrunched up small in worry and he looked troubled.

"Darling..." he mumbled. Skylar felt her eyes start to moist.

"Eddie..." Skylar whispered, and gently holding Ed's hands, she tried to get back onto her feet. Ed helped her, and she closed her eyes tight, staring at her feet. Skylar felt Ed thumb the side of her lips, and a gasp slipped through her lips as the pain stung her.

"What happened darling?" Ed asked slowly, and Skylar turned to look behind him. Ed turned his head and looked at where she was staring. "They are in the jeep, Sky." he said slowly, as Skylar turned towards him, nodding her head.

"Tell me, darling," he said in a pleading voice.

"This is nothing, Eddie." she said in a small voice, touching her lips lightly. She looked up at him and from the corner of her eyes, she saw Reese hurry towards her.

"I got it," she said slowly, as she felt the ache she had earlier come up in her heart once more. "She gave me her heart." she whispered and not being able to control her tears anymore, they started to root down her face.

Ed's eyes grew large as he did not understand the head nor the tail of it. But he knew that if he asked more about it, she would break down more. So, thinking that what had happened can wait, and not being able to look at her tears anymore, Ed pulled her towards him, and she pressed her face onto his chest. She snaked her arms through his waist and cried softly, drinking in her favorite warm smell of him.

"Sky"

Skylar pushed herself off of Ed, and she got back slowly, drying her eyes as she felt a soft hand on her shoulders. She turned behind her and saw Reese standing beside her, worry etched on her face.

"What happened Sky?" she asked softly. Skylar shook her head as Reese gasped, noticing her lips. "Who did this to you?" she shouted, but noticing that Skylar was scrunching up her eyes in pain, Ed shook his head from behind her looking at Reese, asking her not to continue. She understood him and touched Skylar's hands as she tried to narrate what had happened once more.

"No, no, that can wait." she said hurriedly, and gently pulled Skylar towards the car. Ed mouthed a thank you for her, and she nodded giving him a small smile. Together they went towards the jeep, and before any more questions arose, Reese gave them a clear look that read 'not now', and they all fell silent, looking at Skylar. Reese went towards the front passenger seat, and Darla helped Skylar as she got inside. Ed closed the door behind him, and he held Skylar's hand as she leaned her head on his shoulder. She was feeling heavy with all that had happened, and trying to forget everything, she wished she had some peaceful sleep.

The ride back was mostly in silence, and noticing that Skylar was asleep, others whispered while they conversed. Skylar was not completely asleep, but she was too tired enough to not to open her eyes. She felt others whispering behind her, but she did not want to join the conversation. She felt that Ed was nervous and feeling troubled, as he was drawing circles on her hand with his thumb. She hugged his arm with her free hand and at times she even felt Darla patting her knee in a kind manner, as darkness engulfed her.

"Darling, darling," Skylar slowly opened her eyes, as she felt someone pat her on her cheek, calling her. Ed was standing beside her, patting her cheek, trying to wake her up. She did not know when she had fallen asleep, but Skylar woke up with pains in her back.