Chapter 27

"Even monsters deserve love, they become monsters for a reason, not for the fun of it" 

do we agree with the above?! 

Hmmm!

Double update next week if this chapter gets 92 votes lovessss

Vote vote vote!!

*****

When Fergus casually dropped the Bombshell with capital B that the dragons were hosting a dinner party to celebrate the awakening of their Dragon Lord and the discovery of his fated mated, anxiety pinged in my gut.

Then I figured, how different could a dragon banquet be from the ones back in my town?

Edible food would be served, glasses would be clicked. As for the whole mating-in-front-of-everyone part, well, surely that was a dragon way of saying I was his significant other. Right?

I was his mate.

He wouldn't want to share me with anyone, not even to eyes.

Wrong.

From that day forward, I vowed never to take anything for granted in this cold-blooded realm where everything was not what it seemed, but everything was definitely different.

Case in point: the maid bowed and motioned towards the spread dresses, as if presenting me with a buffet of fashion delights.

"What is this?"

"Dresses, My Lady," she replied, her tone serene.

I reframed from blurting out a not so polite "Oh really?!"

"You can choose anything, My Lady," her voice barely above a whisper.
I blinked at the rows of gowns, then glanced back at her. "But whose clothes are these?"

"Yours, My Lady," she said, her smile serene as ever.

I swore my eyes popped out of their sockets.

Me? In a grown? I'd sooner expect a hedgehog to sprout wings and fly!

"How can I run with skirts blocking my freedom?" I muttered. Instead of running with my legs, I ran my fingers over the gowns. It was as if they called to me. They were unlike any I had ever seen before – hard on the outside yet soft on the inner part, with intricate embroidery that looked like overlapping ovals, slightly pointy at the top.

I looked closer... and I noticed it. The texture that made my jaw drop.

"Scales!?" I blurted out, incredulity dripping from every syllable. How on earth was that even possible? Well, this wasn't really the usual earth.

The maid pursed her lips as if containing a smile. "That one would look lovely on you, My Lady. You can try all of them, we might assist you."

But I was too busy trying to wrap my head around the fact that every single dress was covered in the same familiar blue scales. And weirder still, when I brushed my fingers over them, a warm sensation enveloped me, like a hug from a really scaly friend.

With a mixture of curiosity and trepidation, I selected one of the dresses and allowed two maids to help me into it. They managed to manoeuvre the fabric around me without touching me, and I dared not move at all, fearing they might accidentally turn into human roasts.

As I turned in a slow circle, I heard gasps of admiration from the onlookers.

The corset cinched my waist, adorned with silver filigree that danced like moonlight on a midnight lake, while the skirt billowed in layers of rich blue fabric, each tier embroidered with those shimmering scales that seemed almost alive.