Chapter 12

AN/ Hello there my amazing readers!

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!! (CLICK ON THE STAR BOTTON at the top!!) Thank you!!

****

My fingers brushed my forehead and I traced the thick lines of my newly scarred skin.

His mark.

Zerberus closed his eyes and sighed.

"When you said no male would touch me again, what-" I gasped when his eyes snapped opened. His pupils had thinned.

"They can touch you if they want."

Really?

The thought disappointed me.

His thick, long fingers grabbed my chin and lifted it. His inhumane eyes shone with several emotions, so many to categorise them. "If they wish to turn into a pile of ashes for the bored breeze to play with."

Oh.

I yawned twice in a row while I tried to ask my next question. "What does it mean?"

My eyelids were lowering, shutting down the world.

I was exhausted. My body hummed.

"You must rest, beloved. You have a long life ahead of you. There's no rush today." He spoke with an air of authority, as if he truly could promise me such things. He probably could, though.

I grinned, unable to ignore the warm sensation enveloping my chest, as I drifted off against Zerberus's chest. One of my fingerprints traced a scale.

He grabbed that hand and harshly brought it to his mouth. "Sleep," he said in a small growl, then kissed the hand.

I was so tired.

So sleepy.

So loved.

One last thought lingered before I fall into a well-deserved oblivion.

'What is Zerberus guarding?'

****

I knew I was alone in the bed even before I opened my eyes.

Zerberus must have been gone a while, as his large portion on the bed was cold. His scent still lingered though... I sniffed the sheet like a mad woman, then I snatched a particularly scented pillow and brought it to my face. It smelled like dragon.

I yawned loudly, a ghost would have been able to see my tonsils, and I stretched my arms above my head, bumping them onto the wooden head of the bed.

This bed of furs all but swallowed me up. I imagined five humans could sleep under the covers together side by side without touching each other.

I felt different. Even my heart seemed to beat differently. An immense boiling heat ran through my veins.

When I touched my forehead, I felt it again.

The scar. His mark.

It felt like a dragon scale had been placed there. With half-lidded eyes, I gazed around. 'I wished there was a mirror.' I sighed.

For the first time since I had been here, I took my time.

The room seemed to have been carved out of a mountain. That I had been sleeping inside a mountain. The walls were grey, rocky, and uneven, same was with the floor, yet the blue fire blazing away in the hearth added to the torches scattered around made the room inviting.

Two giant armchairs, like comfortable thrones, faced each other on the corner. An iron chandelier was nailed to the ceiling.

A circular wooden door led to the unknown.