Chapter 11

"What do I wear?"

"A sports bra and shorts." Ava answered through the phone as I dug through my closet.

"That's it??" I asked, imagining walking around our school gym with only a sports bra and shorts on.

"Oh and Spandex, I forgot you're a flyer." Ava spoke as if that made it any better. "Sports bra and spandex."

"Ugh," I groaned as I hurriedly searched my drawers, knowing I only had 10 minutes till I had to leave again.

"You almost done?" My dad called from downstairs, as I found a hot pink sports bra and a pair of black spandex.

"Gotta go." I hung up with Ava, quickly undressing to throw on the 'outfit'. "Almost done dad!"

Now feeling naked I put on my cheer shoes and grabbed a hair-tie, knowing I could put my hair up in the car. I threw on a zip-up for cover as I rushed downstairs, phone in hand.

"Okay now this outfit looks familiar." My dad chuckled as he handed me a white hydro-flask. "You'll want this later."

I took the water bottle with a smile, my dad and I heading back outside and into his truck.

"You excited?" He asked, starting up the engine and pulling out of the driveway. Since our house was only ten minutes from the school, he wasn't too mad when I told him I needed to run home before cheer practice to get my clothes.

"Yeah I guess." I wasn't sure how to feel as I texted Ava back, feeling bad for the way I just hung up on her. "I'm nervous."

"You got clearance from your doctor this morning right?"

I nodded. "Yeah my heads all good."

"Any new memories resurfacing?"

"They come in waves." Which is true. The more I talk to Ava the more i begin to remember things about her and myself. I begin to remember cheer, and how we used to play soccer when we were little. I remember my moms favorite color and how my dad loves giraffes just like me. But with Carter it was like a bricks wall that wouldn't let me see in, no matter how hard I tried to remember him.

"That's good honey." My dad smiled, patting my shoulder with one hand. "So you'll be cheering at the next game then?"

I nodded. "Yeah we aren't going to the away games this week or next week, but the week after." That gave us three weeks to learn one routine, which was the longest time we've had all year. It was also the last game of the season.

We pulled into the school parking lot and my dad dropped me off towards the back, closest to the gym. I began to walk and put my hair up at the same time, knowing I would probably be the last one to practice. Coach would kill me.

As I walked in, the girls were still putting down the mats, so I sighed with relief. Most girls just waved and smiled, but Ava almost tackled me. "Oh my god I can't believe you're here."

"I told you I was coming." I laughed as I set down my water bottle and phone next to Ava's stuff, Ava still hanging off my body.

"I thought you would chickennn." She beamed as she grabbed my hand, leading me over to the mats. Everyone talked in low voices to each other, occasionally glancing up at me and Ava and then looking away.

"Does anyone like me?" I asked Ava quietly as everyone began to stretch, coach walking in and waving me over to her.

"Hey gingerbread." She called to me. "Everyone else keep stretching."

I stood as Ava responded. "They're scared of you."

I didn't have time to respond as I walked over to coach Kim, her brown hair pulled up into a claw clip. She was a middle aged woman dressed in lulu-lemon, arms crossed but smiling at me. "Good to see you."