𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘐 𝘌𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘉𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯

Nathan, Troy, and Tim were engaged in a game of basketball in Nathan's yard.

"So you and Peyton are history?" Tim inquired, his curiosity evident.

Troy nodded, expressing concern. "Yeah man, she has NOT been happy with you."

Nathan, however, seemed unfazed

Nathan, however, seemed unfazed. "Nah. I wouldn't count on that."

Surprised, Tim pressed further. "No?"

"Yeah. This is what she does. She freaks out, we break up; a few days later, we make up," Nathan explained casually.

Troy couldn't help but comment on the dynamic. "That seems a bit toxic."

Tim echoed Troy's sentiment. "So why put up with that?"

Nathan smirked confidently. "Because a few days later, we make up."

Troy chuckled at Nathan's response. "You are crazy, man."

Their practice was interrupted by Dan, who approached them eagerly.

"Hey, ball," Dan requested, and Nathan promptly passed him the ball.

Dan made a shot effortlessly.

"Expect plenty more of that at the father/son game because we're going to crush you guys."

Nathan accepted the challenge, responding with a shot of his own. "Oh yeah? You can expect more of that."

"Bring it on." Dan taunted.

Dan then turned his attention to Troy, adopting a more intimidating tone. "Hey Troy, you think you're ready for this game?"

Troy tried to downplay the pressure. "Uh, yeah. It's just a scrimmage."

Dan persisted with his competitive banter. "If you don't bring your best, then why would you play? That's why Nathan is one of the best players in the state!"

Troy attempted to brush off the comment. "Mr. Scott, it's just a game."

Dan chuckled, enjoying the psychological games. "With all due respect Dawson, you sound just like your Dad. It's why I was named team MVP over him. Jack never understood the sacrifices to be the best."

Nathan intervened, trying to diffuse the tension. "Dad, just stop."

Dan, satisfied with his teasing, relented and went back inside the house, leaving the boys to continue their game with a lingering awkward tension.

Dan always enjoyed poking fun at Troy, considering his competitive history with Jack, Troy's father.

They didn't like each other in high school, always competing against each other, well, Dan mostly.

While Jack thought of basketball as a fun sport and an escape of sorts, Dan was the opposite, always making everything a competition.

Everything, whether it was based around a girl, who could score more points, and everything in between.