𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘕𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘈𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺

1988, Cove City High School

Cove City High School was abuzz with the intensity of a basketball showdown between the Tree Hill Ravens and the Cove City Cougars.

As the clock ticked down to the final minutes and Cove City held a slim lead of 65-69, emotions ran high on the court.

Coach Whitey's voice boomed across the gymnasium, calling for a crucial huddle. "Alright, gather 'round, boys. We need a smart play here. Dan, you're our go-to guy. Jack, set up the screen if Dan isn't open. Let's execute."

Jack gestured for a screen, indicating an alternative strategy if Dan found himself tightly guarded.

However, Dan misinterpreted this gesture as an attempt for Jack to steal his moment of glory. Despite the smart play, Dan's ego took over, and he decided to ignore Jack's call for the screen.

As the huddle dispersed, Dan became a ball hog, refusing to pass and holding onto the ball for too long. Coach Whitey's frustration was palpable, and Jack's persistent calls for the ball fell on deaf ears.

But Dan remained focused on his own agenda, ignoring Jack's pleas and taking the shot himself, only to miss, sealing the team's defeat.

Approaching Dan with a mix of frustration and disbelief, Jack questioned his teammate's decision-making. "What the hell, Dan? You had an open lane to pass to me!"

Dan, fueled by a potent combination of anger and ego, didn't take kindly to Jack's criticism. "I don't need you telling me how to play, Dawson. I had the shot, and I took it."

Before Jack could respond, Dan hurled the ball at his face, sending him crashing to the ground. The gymnasium fell silent as Jack slowly picked himself up, his expression a mix of shock and fury.

In a flash, Jack lunged at Dan, the two teammates locked in a heated altercation that quickly escalated into a full-blown brawl. Coach Whitey and their teammates rushed in to separate them, but the damage had been done.

———————-

Lucas and Haley strolled through the school grounds, their conversation flowed easily, a familiar comfort between them.

"Hey stranger," Haley greeted, a playful lilt in her voice.

Lucas chuckled softly. "No stranger than you."

Haley raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Hmm."

Lucas shifted the conversation. "Did you get my message last night?"

Haley shook her head. "Nah. I was, uh, at the library late. Troy and I were studying for midterms."

Lucas nodded, a hint of understanding in his expression. "Uh, huh. Well, good luck with that."

Haley paused, sensing Lucas's unease. "Luke, you're cool with this, right? I mean, last week, when you said you didn't trust me..."

Lucas sighed, regret flickering across his features. "I know. I didn't mean that. Alright? I meant I don't trust Troy."

Before they could delve further into their conversation, Peyton approached Lucas, diverting Haley's attention elsewhere.

"Hey, you got a second?" Peyton inquired, her expression slightly pained.

Haley caught Peyton's wince and excused herself, leaving Lucas and Peyton alone.

Peyton took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts. "So last week... sucked. I just... wanted to say thanks."