𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘏𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘛𝘰 𝘍𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘰𝘴𝘵

"There's no shame in being afraid. Hell, we're all afraid. What you gotta do is figure out what you're afraid of because when you put a face on it, you can beat it. Better yet, you can use it."

- Whitey Durham

Karen's Cafe

The streets of Tree Hill lined with eccentric students, and adults, all banding together in support of their hometown Ravens basketball team.

With the team being undefeated and gunning for a state title, who wouldn't be excited to witness a game at Tree Hill High School?

Well, all except one person at least.

"Karen, you ready to go?" Keith Scott shouted as he put his coat on. "I think Jack and Rose are on their way."

"Oh, I'm not going," Karen laughed nervously. "I've decided to stay open, I could use the business."

"Have you talked to Luke about this?" Keith questioned, clearly suspicious.

"No, but I'm sure he'll understand."

"Oh my god, she doesn't want to go." Haley scoffed. "She doesn't want to see her high school sweetheart slash your brother Dan, slash the jerk who abandoned Lucas, slash the father of Nathan, one of the team's star players, slash my wrists. Keith, I've heard the story, let's just go."

"Alright then." Keith laughed before turning towards Karen.

"I think you're making a mistake."

And with that, Keith and Haley exited the cafe without another word.

"So, you seem pretty excited." Keith said, noticing Haley's excitable behavior as they walked towards the school.

"Yeah, I'm just really excited for Lukes first game is all," the James girl replied. "Why do you ask?"

"Sure it's not for something else?" Keith smirked. "Remember last week?"

Previous week

Haley James was working the night of a Ravens basketball game. On nights like these, sometimes players and their friends would come in and celebrate a big win, or drown their sorrows in caffeine and junk food after a loss.

Today however was different. Troy Dawson and his family were in the cafe.

It was no secret that Haley has a massive crush on the Dawson boy, one she's harbored ever since she laid eyes on him the first day of freshmen year.

Nobody could really blame her, Troy was a very good looking boy with his bright blue eyes and perfect blonde hair.

But the one thing that set Troy out from the rest of the popular kids was his caring personality, his selfless attitude, and how he treated other people.

And that's what Haley loved the most about him.

"Haley!" Karen called from the counter. "Do you have a second?"

"Yeah Karen, I have tons of secs......." Haley stuttered as she continued staring.

"Well I don't think I should know that, but good for you honey." Karen joked with a knowing smirk.

Haley looked down in embarrassment, before revving up the coffee maker.

Peeking at the Dawson boy as he joked around with his Dad, Haley proceeded to get lost in his eyes once more.

That is until she ended up spilling coffee on herself, freeing her from her thoughts.

This was going to be a long night.