Chapter 25 - "Smoke and Mirrors"

-- Saer

Being lord of a city is not an easy task, even more so when you have the reputation of greed.
Saer certainly wasn't known for building a city for everyone.
Sometimes it was more profitable to favor the rich.

He was definitely closing in on being one of the more wealthy city lord's in the country, despite his plan to secure a noble rank failing; But being rich wasn't his goal.
Gathering strength in one place was the true aim.
He did not trust the church to muster anything but small fries when the time came.

The adventurer's guild did create strong individuals, but lacked the means to unite and motivate them when they were needed.
What attracted most people was one thing - money.
Where there is money, there's a strong army.

Suddenly, there's a knock on his door and he beckons his loyal advisor in.
"My lord, Zaster has requested to see you urgently."

Zaster ran the black market in his city, which Saer agreed to give a blind eye to in return for discounts and information.
The black market was akin to veins flowing through every city, carrying raw resources that only he seemed willing to tap into.

Saer entered the room where Zaster waited.
"Why have you requested me? Is something happening I should be aware of?"

"Yes, I thought you should know there are some shady buyers looking for a huge reservoir of Mana. My connections believe they are part of a cult that idolize the demon lord." Zaster informs.

Saer knew he made the right choice to connect with the underworld, but now he has much more to think about.
'These bastards, in my city? Could I wipe them out myself? Unlikely.'

He thought blankly before he finally came up with a plan.
'Wait a minute... I can use that naive dragon... I can't imagine that what they want is actually there. I'll just send them over there to be dealt with.'

"Zaster, I have an extra favor to ask. Please tell them what they are looking for is in Jora Village."

"I'll have it done. Your business is truly valuable, Lord Saer." Zaster replies.

Saer leaned back in his chair, simulating possible outcomes in his head and the worrisome doubts of himself.
'That dragon was easy to bluff. But it must care about that village in some way. What if I'm wrong? They don't have anything they would want, right? And there's no way it will just let them take what they want, right? I feel like that saintess won't be far behind. I suppose it doesn't matter if she somehow controls the dragon, but if it wants that village to survive then it will have to fight demons anyway...'

"Recherta, I also have something to ask of you."

-- Outside Jora Village

Slowly, a group of cloaked individuals crept unseen into the village.

"This is where the information leads. Spread out and search for it!" The tall one in command orders.

"H-Hold on. What do we do about the dragon? Why is it here? And what in demon god's name is it doing?" One of them pauses.

"What does it matter what it's doing? It's distracted by the children, just avoid it until you find what we need." The leader of the group continues.

They search every building with the protection of invisibility, until eventually, they find the priceless lump of Orichalcum, already fully charged for them to use.

Most of them haul the valuable metal out and masterfully avoid any detection.
But the one lagging behind is not so lucky.

-- Lava