Chapter 20 - "Adventurers"

--- Taz and Chase

Lyel, the military instructor in charge of the young recruits, looked over the disciplined group of teenagers.
Some were determined, while others didn't have what it takes to stand strong.

At the front were Taz and Chase, who displayed great potential. The only thing the group were lacking was practical experience.
This is what the adventurer's guild excelled in providing, if only for beasts.

The adventurer's guild mainly rejected requests to provide experience against human foes, as it was an international organization focused on strengthening humanity as a whole for the predicted invasion by demons.

"Those of you in the front row, be proud! Your efforts have earned you the chance to learn the skills of seasoned adventurers! But those of you whom haven't showed progress, your opportunities here are not unlimited. You must prove yourselves worthy of them before they run out!"

Dejected, all but the front row were thrown back into training, while the ones deemed to be ready were told they would each be tagging along with a high ranked adventurer.

The pair were assigned to Raine, a swordswoman that was noticeably less flashy than the other adventurers.
Everything about her seemed to scream practicality.

The two recruits were determined to become strong enough to bring fame and prosperity to their home village.

"The others spent time planning everything down to the letter, but not me. I just grabbed the first few requests that were available. Read them carefully and choose one that resonates with you."

The adventurer gave them a choice of which request for them to take, and once they read them, they realized it wasn't a choice at all!

"Taz! The village is in trouble! This says a dragon is controlling our village!" Chase exclaimed.

"We have to go save them!" Taz replied quickly.

"Both of you best pay extra attention, then. It's not every day rising stars like you get to learn how to deal with a dragon." Raine stated.
The pair were now only focused on protecting their home, which according to the guild, was currently being threatened by a dragon of all things.

Both of them knew there were rumors of the dragon around the village, but they weren't present at the time to know that dragon was in fact the new kid that Ria became so enthralled with.

Raine was confident in her ability to fulfill the request, since the information said it was still a young dragon and there shouldn't be issue as long as the tag along didn't get in the way.

"Both of you should stay back and let me deal with it. You are only to observe unless told otherwise, got it?!" She commanded.

"Yes, ma'am!" They complied.

As they enclosed on the village, that's when they finally saw their target.
It had bright red scales and was holding a small child in its claws.
The poor boy was even pushing its nose, probably desperate to fight it off.

"No! Let him go!" Taz screamed, to the dismay of Raine, who lost the element of surprise.
All three of them became sure the child was doomed to be eaten, but instead the dragon gently placed the boy on the ground.

Instead of running or screaming, the boy was confused and stood still, and even tried to get the attention of the dragon again.
They dismissed the behavior as just being young, stupid, and in shock.

--- Lava

One of the same kids that was pulling on my tail came up to me wanting me to lift them up, so I did.
I thought it was adorable they weren't even scared at all that I can just suddenly hold them like this.