Chapter 14 - "Beastmen"

The closer we got to the beastman village, the more deserted of Mana the air became.
It was also a little bit warmer.

The village itself reminded me a lot of home.
It just felt similar in vibe.

It appeared as if it was empty.
It was confusing to see not a single person outside.

We looked around and tried to a call out a few times but no one responded, then I got a very uncomfortable feeling out of nowhere.
There was nothing when I looked around, and I couldn't get this weird anxiety to go away.

Suddenly, a slim woman jumps out from behind a wall with daggers in hand.
I could hear the sudden noise all the way down to the blade cutting through the air, and for a few seconds it felt like the entire world was moving slowly.

I didn't have a conclusive idea what was going on, just that there was danger behind me and that I had to move.
I barely flinched out of the way and saw the woman recovering from the miss.

She had sewn up clothes I would expect from a village like this and cat ears to go along with it.
But that aside, 'Sneak attacking a child, what the hell is wrong with you?!'

"What are you?!" She demands. "Are you that dragon Valgore warned us about? Your trick won't work here!"

Oh, my earlier mistake is really making this difficult.
How does she even know?

"I'm not here to-" This annoying woman won't even let me say anything.

You made me do this...

"<Stop>!" I command with magic but nothing seems to happen.
I have more than enough Mana, this should work!

Maybe because there's almost no Mana in the air? So I just need a spell that uses my own Mana directly...

"<Mana Release>, <Stop>!" This time it worked, releasing my own Mana into the environment and then using the spell.
If this didn't work, I would have had to start using projectile spells.

The woman was frozen and unable to move.
Does it make me evil if I use her to test how magic works? Just one thing...

<Stop> worked as a command, but if I want her to drop her weapons too, I can't exactly make 'Drop Weapons' into a spell, and I confirmed that didn't work.
If you think about it, saying <Stop> isn't really forcing her to obey a command, it's just physically forcing her to stop.

But, what if...
"Drop your weapons, <Command>!"

I was completely surprised that worked, just putting the order as the chant to the spell seemed to work well enough despite not sounding anywhere close to a chant.
There's probably all kinds of limitations to this kind of spell like willpower and relative strength but that's something I'll have to figure out later.

"I'm not here to cause trouble, so stop attacking me. I just need some spungite from your village."

This time she finally calms down when I let her move.

"So you've come to steal from us instead.." She complains in a deathly tone.

"No, we can both help each other." I say.

"Why should I believe that?" She questions back.

"I would have forcefully taken whatever I wanted already if that's what I was here to do. "

"Fine! But don't even think of trying anything!"

These guys must have had some kind of bad experience with another dragon.
"I'm not! You can calm down!"