Chapter 4 - "An angel? Where?"

I woke up with a terrible headache, which was treated with the most juicy steak I've ever seen.

Mino brought me delicious meat!
It tastes so much better than I thought it should but maybe that's just my new body craving meat.

"You did a good job. I'm glad my senile old man was right about you." He said.

The only thing I couldn't save was the mine.
It'll take time for it to be repaired, and it's the village's main income.

Magisteel is a rare natural resource that can be sold for a high price.
Metal that has been naturally infused with Mana is very powerful for making magical tools.

As soon as Ria heard about me being awake, she rushed in to hug me.
"Sister was so strong! You're the best angel!" She shouts.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Everyone calls you an angel now!" She beams.

'Did I just make life harder for myself?'

The year passes by uneventfully, rumors of the 'Angel of Jora Village' escaping the village at the speed of gossip.

The new year, was however, inspection year.
The inspection wasn't for living conditions, but for promising children to be drafted or made into magicians.

The only reason the orphanage was funded by the government, was to easily create soldiers with the resolve to fight and occasional mages.

Usually the inspection was done by a single official approved by the local lord, however this time a tall woman in bright white robes was visiting as well.

She immediately looked at me, while the other was evaluating everyone else.
"So, the angel I've heard so much about really does exist!"

This time I was doing as best as possible to restrain my aura.

I really need to be doing it constantly...
People that can't control their Mana perception well would be blinded trying to look at me.

"Mr. Tang, I'd like to take this child back to teach holy magic." The woman states somewhat commanding to gramps.

"Alright, as long as nothing happens to her." Gramps responded.

'Gramps! Are you selling me out?!'

Also, 'holy magic'? This must be some brainwashing kind of deal right?
There's no way it's any different from regular magic! Anyone can heal or whatever if they have enough power.

Not only do I not care about whatever religion this woman is from, but if I leave, it'll be forever before I can safely leave human form again!

I did expect that I might be chosen to be a mage along with Ria, but not that I would be scouted for some kind of church.

Gramps isn't helping at all, he just tells me it's a great opportunity and that I should be happy.

I'm convinced he's still trying too hard to make me into a good person.

I'm suspicious as hell of this church, though.

But I didn't have much choice in the matter, so I ended up in a carriage leaving the orphanage behind, at least for now.

Taz and Chase were physically promising enough to start military careers, while Ria was a magic prodigy that warranted being sent straight to a noble magic academy.

Part of the reason for that was just that she was naturally talented, but what really pushed her potential past the limits of normal humans was the fact she was cuddling a dragon every day.

I was cranky in the carriage.

"I'm Priest Aya, what's your name?" The woman introduced with a smile.

"I'm Lava..." I pout.

I already missed my home, so I decide to practice chantless magic by mentally casting <Shiver> on her.

Having no utterance, mental casting was almost useless for anything but to trigger magic tools. But as a dragon I can still create a noticeable effect.

That wiped the smile off her face in an instant.

"What's wrong?" I ask deviously.

"Sorry, I just got a sudden chill, it's nothing." She answers with a pale tone.

This is the first time I've entered a city since coming to this world.
During the ride I even smell delicious meat!

"I want to try the food! Please! Please!" I beg pitifully, my desires being overpowered by food.

"Calm yourself, young one. You will have plenty of time for that later." Aya effortlessly shut me down.
"Brr, this cabin must have a hole in it..."

I give her an angry glare the entire way.

"Welcome to the Yeste Church! A centerpiece of the Prazia kingdom." An old robed figure exclaims.

"Why am I wanted here?" I complained.

"The church needs chosen ones such as yourself to support humanity against the demons! Rejoice in your opportunity to do the work of God!" The man preaches.

'Chosen? Nuh-uh! There's no way I was reincarnated just to partake in this shady church.'

"This is a responsibility many would sacrifice everything to have. You are very lucky, young one!" Aya praises.

This so called responsibility seems to be nothing but giving blessings to adventurers and healing people, for a price.

What's strange is that they actually provide better blessings and healing than most could achieve on their own.

At first I questioned myself, that maybe holy magic really did exist, but I soon realized that all their incantations included "Great spirit of light, Lumen".

"I'm going to look around, okay?" I made up a quick excuse to wander around the chapel, since I look like a very young child, I guess they didn't think anything of it being so sudden.

Immediately I started looking for strong sources of Mana, my dragon perception greatly aiding my search and leading me to a staircase underground.

A couple guards tried to interrupt.

"Little girl, you can't be here, where are your-"
<Sleep>

I quickly descended into the lower levels and then I saw it.
A higher spirit was trapped in a magic barrier, undoubtedly forced to be a source of Mana for all the 'holy' spells.

It was much simpler to capture a powerful spirit since any of the priests could use strong spells without needing much power themselves.

"What is a dragon doing in a human city?!" The spirit asked in shock.

"Well, few know I'm a dragon yet, so please keep it quiet. I'm here to free you." I respond.

"Very well..." She says.

"<Dispel Barrier>!"

I immediately feel weak, and I regret not checking how strong the barrier was before trying that.
I'm running on fumes now.

Soon after, the church was scrambling to replace its priests with strong magicians, and no one could openly suspect me.

The spirit seemed to want to stay with me.