Chapter 15 - "Passing the time with practice."

We returned to the dwarven city with a chunk of spungite ready.
Now, we just need a platinum coin.

Why do I have to use my scales for everything?
The only way I can imagine getting that much money is selling my scales, and it feels like I'm giving them out like candy.

I even gave Ria one, and I can just feel that she's using it for way more than just emergencies.
Hopefully Varga will take care of the platinum coin if I sell a few of my scales.

We presented the chunk to the dwarf readily.
"You really went there and got it, huh? All you need now is the coin, which I presume you must have if you've gone this far." The dwarf says.

"Sorry, but we were hoping we could sell these for it." I respond, showing about 4 of my precious scales.

"What could you be selling that could be worth- How did you get these?!" He asks in shock.

Uh oh...

"We found them abandoned in a cave near our home." I say with false confidence.
I had to come up with a lie quickly.

"Some people really are blessed... It'll be a day before I can turn these into a platinum coin, so it'll be ready if you come back tomorrow." He says.

What are we gonna do for a whole day?
It would be practical to try to practice hunting magic beasts, I can't let myself freeze up again when it matters.

Ria can sense that there's nothing that important to do and starts pestering me.
"I know what we can do! You still haven't played with me! You have to!"

Ria is too greedy, I always have to play with her!
She's getting spoiled with attention just because I can't ignore her.
Little sisters really are needy.

I had no choice but to give in and find a secluded spot to let her ride me around.
That was the only thing that ever seems to make her calm down.

Ria holds onto my neck and makes me lift her up repeatedly.
I can see Aya giving me funny looks that say I'm too weak to be a real dragon.
Stop looking at me like that! What am I supposed to do?

The main reason we were camping outside in the first place is because Ria likes being on my back so much.
"Wow, you really are the most harmless dragon in the world." Aya says gleefully.

"I'm not harmless!" I snort angrily.

"Lava is harmless! See?" Ria affirms Aya and tries to stick her hands in my mouth.

"No! Stop that, you stupid little idiot!" I scold while trying to pull away.

"See! Harmless!" She laughs and smiles like she won a prize or something.

"Please can you take care of her for a little while? I need a break from this." I beg Aya.

"I understand, I can handle it." She agrees.

"Noo! Don't abandon me! Bad dragon!" Ria screams when I start moving away.

What a little drama drama queen... You should be old enough to let me leave without a fuss for a few hours by now.

The one thing I don't know how to do yet is fly, I've been putting it off for ages, I need to learn fast.
I could probably just use genetic memory to instantly know it, but I really want to learn skills myself without resorting to being given them on a silver platter every time.

I can't really practice flying when I have Ria hugging my legs or otherwise being where I could fall on and crush.

Finding a nice, hidden clearing, I first try climbing up a tree and gliding.
The branches can barely support me, but when I jump off and try to spread my wings, I really do fly for a few seconds.
Well... it's not exactly flying, more like falling slowly.