Departure To Ayodhya

The heavy moment had come after all the festivities were completed.

It was the day of the Bidaai Ceremony.

None of the brides and grooms were allowed to meet after Their weddings. They were living in Their own separate rooms.

They could only share Their rooms and speak to each other in privacy once they were back at Ayodhya, and the rest of the customs were completed there.

The procession had been readied for heading towards Ayodhya. Gifts, presents and soldiers had also been prepared to be sent with the brides.

But, King Dashratha had declined everything. He cited that they already had enough and He would make sure that the brides were treated as His own daughters and would never feel the lack of anything.

He had even denied taking maids with them, which was a usual custom as the nurse of the Princess was always meant to accompany Her, when in Her in-laws house.

Rumours were that after Queen Kaikayi married and brought Her dearest companion, Mathara to Ayodhya, all maids were banned henceforth, especially those who came from other kingdoms.

Manthara was known to be very clever and Kaikayi would never leave Her side, often blindly following Her advice. She was an important figure in the palatial politics.

And amidst heavy hearts and tearful eyes, the Princesses finally bid adieu to Their paternal home, ready to undertake the long journey ahead.

They put their palms in alta, a red coloured dye, and left their palm impressions on the walls of the palace; their last marks and final memories.

"Your Highness, be rest assured. My brothers and I shall take utmost care of the Princesses and cater to Their every need. I know they may not be able to visit their homes regularly, but I shall try my best so that they don't miss their home too much." Rama assured King Janaka and bowed down to touch His feet and seek blessings.

He had already sent special orders to Ayodhya, and constructed a beautiful, vivid garden right next to Their room, knowing well that Sita loved plants. He didn't want Her to miss Mithila, so He created a mini version of Her home, with a temple, in the palace that was going to be Their new home.

Four different palaces had been newly constructed and gifted to the new couples as their homes. They were all interconnected through hallways, thus ensuring easy travel to the main palace. This world makes life much more peaceful and private for the newlyweds.

And everyone had got their palace customised, just like Rama did. Lakshmana knew that Urmila was particularly fond of water and lakes. So, He got a beautiful crystal lake created right under their balcony.

Although Lakshamana and Urmila hardly got time to know each other or to speak, and They didn't even know about Their wedding until one day before, but they had clicked instantly.

Urmila being the talkative one, hoped that She would get ample time to speak to Lakshmana and get to know Him better. The lake would definitely be a pleasant surprise to Her.

The four brides sprinkled rice from their veil and took steps towards Their carriages, waiting to carry them to their new homes.

As the four Princesses hugged Their parents for one final time and got into Their carriages, they turned back and cried tears of good byes.

And finally, the journey to Ayodhya started.

The beginning of a brand new chapter.