The Bow Is Broken

Everyone looked on, with wonder struck eyes, towards the Son of the Raghu clan.

He, whose body shown like a thousand radiant suns amidst a bright blue sky. His arms, though gentle and graceful, had the strength of a hundred thunderbolts in a cloudy backdrop.

His face was glowing, as He held onto the broken pieces of the bow. Smiling, He kept looking towards Sita, without breaking eye contact.

Even amidst the huge audience that had gathered, there was no one else for Him except for Her at that moment.

Oh Sita, remember that Rama may have broken the bow. But He shall never break His vow.

The musicians played instruments and flower petals were showered on Him.

"Oh, Prince Rama! Finally You've ended this drought and strung the bow. You're an ideal match to My daughter. But, I didn't understand, why did You break the bow? It's a celestial bow, it belongs to Lord Shiva. I'm afraid He may feel upset."

One of the ministers from the panel got up to speak, "Yes sire, this is against the rules of the Swayamvar."

Rama smiled gently, before explaining to the man, after taking permission to speak.

"May I clear one confusion, sire. But putting up a woman in a competition against Her wishes too, is not mentioned as a rule for a Swayamvar. I can only marry Princess Sita, if She chooses to marry Me. This bow had become a tool for auction, without considering what Her desires are. And I just had to break it, because it's not healthy. I'm sure Lord Shiva too would not have promoted this, because He is an unbiased Lord."

The audience applauded at such a wise answer. Everyone was in awe of Him.

And Sita? She simply blushed and looked away, praying to all the Gods and Goddesses in Her heart who listened to Her desire.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Who dared to break the bow of Lord Shiva, whom I worship so devotedly?"

A strong, muscular man, who had His hair tied up like a Brahmin, carrying an axe in His hand, came up, thundering into the hall.

"I say, who had the audacity to break the Pinaka? I myself was the caretaker of the celestial bow and had gifted it to King Janaka. Come forth and face Me!"

He was  Sage Parshurama, born a Brahman, but turned a Kshatriya by deeds. He was revered by everyone as the sixth avatar of Lord Vishnu. He was a Chiranjeevi, the One who transcends through all the millenniums.

He was well known for His temper, and the entire hall thuddered under His anger. Everyone kept mum and no one came forth.

His wild and raging eyes scanned through the audience. He saw the broken bow in Rama's hands and His eyes pierced through His soul. But Rama remained calm as ever, without a tinch of fear.