The Unacknowledged Sister

"Yes, they had an elder sister. Her name was Shanta."

Queen Sunayana continued the story henceforth. Sita sat listening with earnest eyes, supporting Her head with Her hand.

"She was the first born daughter of King Dashrath and Queen Kaushalya. But since She could not succeed the hierarchy being a daughter, They took the advice of their council of sages and ministers who told them to give Her in adoption, in order to beget sons. She was then adopted by King Romapada of Anga, where She was raised like His own daughter and a royal Princess. She was very beautiful, and was well educated in the Vedas, arts and warfare."

Sunayana looked at Her little daughter, who was so mature at such a tender age. She wondered if She was imparting Her difficult knowledge which might be beyond Her age and understanding. But She saw how dedicated She was, so She continued to recite the tale.

"One day, as Shanta sat conversing with Her Father, King Romapada, a Brahmin came to their doorstep, asking for help in cultivation during the monsoon season. But the King was busy with His daughter, and He paid no attention to Him. The enraged and irritated Brahmin left the kingdom, and so did Lord Indra, The God of Rain, because His devotee was insulted. With no rains and no harvest, Anga became a barren land of drought. The dismayed King sought help of sages who advised Him to perform a grand yagya, which would yield Him the desired results. But only one man could supervise or perform this yagya, a Brahmin with powers from the observance of perfect chastity."

Sunayana looked outside at the twilight sky. It was pale and peachy pink, with glittering stars. The Moon was waiting for the Sun to set fully so that it could uncover itself.

"Their search continued deep and wide, and the King met King Dashrath of Ayodhya, who was also looking for a solution to His problem, and wanted sons to be born as heirs. Finally their search concluded when they heard the tale of the Brahmin Rishyashringa who had been raised by Vibhandaka, isolated from society without knowledge of women. He had to be brought to the city and be persuaded to carry out the necessary yajna ceremonies. Despite their fear of the power and anger of Vibhandaka, both kings send young women to introduce the boy to the normal society. But they fail tragically to make Him engage with the other gender."

Sita got up and brought a tray table infront of Her Mother. Freshly brewed tea, made from magical and refreshing herbs, was poured in small teacups. The teacups had the royal badge embossed over them.

"Here, Maa, please have this. You must be tired after the long day at work, and then coming back to recite stories to Me. What happened next if they all failed?"

Sunayana sipped the tea. Its aroma was strong and filled Her senses. She knew Sita had taken special care of the herbery and She had adept knowledge about which herbs would be best to prepare tea leaves.

"Then, King Dashrath and King Romapada, decided to give Their daughter in marriage to Rishyashringa. He thus agrees to perform the yajna for Anga, and during the recitation, it rained heavily. Everyone rejoiced and grand festivals were celebrated in Anga."

Sita kept the tray table with the empty cups back. She looked at the time keeper. It worked on shadows of the Sun. She realised that the evening hours, or the fourth prahara, had ended. Soon Her Mother would retire to Her own chambers, leaving Her alone to daydream about the stories She had just heard.

She would have to wait for the next day to listen to the next part.

_____________________________________________

"Rishyashringa  also performed a Putra Kameshthi yagna for Dasharatha to beget progeny

"Rishyashringa also performed a Putra Kameshthi yagna for Dasharatha to beget progeny."

Queen Sunayana was back at Her session of storytelling with Her daughter. She had reached the most crucial part of the storyline.

"Upon the advice of His counsellor, Sumantra, King Dashrath brought Rishyashringa to Koshala, and performed an Ashwagandha Yagya, the Horse Sacrifice. After the success of the Ashvamedha Yagya, a Putrīyā Iṣṭi Yagya began for the attainment of sons. Prayers and mantras were recited as offerings were poured into the holy fire. Soon, a Divine being emerged from the fire, holding a vessel of celestial porridge in His hands. The being told Dashrath to give the porridge to His wives. He divided portions of the porridge, and gave half to Kaushalya, half of a half to Sumitra, and half of what remained to Kaikeyi. The remaining portion was again given to Sumitra, by Kaikeyi, who had sent it back."

Sita gasped as She heard the magical tale. "A celestial porridge? Did it really help to beget sons?"

Sunayana continued the story, "Yes, after consuming the porridge, Kaushalya gave birth to Rama, Kaikeyi to Bharata, and Sumitra to the twins Lakshmana and Shatrughna. The House of Raghu soon echoed with the giggles of children and Dashrath's palace and family seemed complete."

Sita smiled in silence, imagining the scene of delight and the happy faces of the proud parents. "Mother, does King Dashrath differentiate between His sons? I've heard many parents turn biased."

Sunayana looked puzzled at Her question. She wondered where She had noticed that. "No Sita, King Dashrath doesn't differentiate between His children. He provids everything including love, equally for His sons. But yes, I've heard that His eldest Son, Rama, is His most favourite and He spends the most time with Him. He looks so charming and beautiful, as a young child. When He was a baby, He insisted on having the Moon by His side as He slept, and then His Mother Kaushalya placed a bowl full of water next to Him, with the reflection of the Moon. He was thus called Rama Chandra, because His face has the radiance of the Moon."

Sita clapped Her hands in wonder and excitement at the conclusion of the plot. But< suddenly Her face turned solemn. "Mother, where is Shanta now?"

Her Mother took a long pause and then replied, "Unacknowledged."

।। श्री राम जय राम जय जय राम ।। ।। जय श्री सियाराम ।। ।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।।

।। जय श्री सियाराम ।।
।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी
जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।।