Chapter Ten

Under the vast expanse of the starry night sky, Ugetsu perched atop the roof of Tazuna's house, his silhouette outlined against the darkness. Hugging his knees close to his chest, he gazed out at the tranquil ocean, its waves softly lapping against the shore. The weight of recent events hung heavy on his shoulders, his thoughts drifting through the somber night.

"Can I talk to you?" Kakashi's voice broke the silence, drawing Ugetsu's attention downward to the deck below. There, Inari sat, his gaze fixed on the endless expanse of the ocean. As Kakashi approached and settled beside him, Ugetsu listened intently to their conversation.

"Naruto can be a little harsh sometimes, but he doesn't hate you," Kakashi's words were gentle, carrying a sense of understanding. "Your grandfather told us what happened to your father. You probably don't know this, but Naruto also grew up without a father. He didn't have a single friend in our village, but still, I had never seen him cry, sob, or give up."

"Ugetsu... you are right... he's not from our village," Kakashi's voice softened, carrying a hint of empathy. "In fact, he's from the Hidden Mist." Ugetsu's breath caught in his throat, his pulse quickening with anticipation as Kakashi divulged fragments of his past. The silence between them hung heavy, pregnant with unspoken truths.

"I don't know much about his past, but the Hidden Mist village... they were most well-known as the 'Village of Bloody Mist,'" Kakashi continued, his words laden with gravity.

Ugetsu's mind swirled with memories, flashes of his tumultuous childhood in the Hidden Mist village. He had endured hardships that few could imagine, carving a path of survival amidst the shadows of his past.

"But those two... even though they are both young and still learning, they know what it means to be strong," Kakashi's voice carried a sense of admiration. "Like your father did. I think they know better than any of us what you're going through."-

-

-

Team Seven and Tazuna ventured towards the bridge to assess its progress, but Naruto was notably absent, having exhausted himself with intense training the night before.

Along the journey, Ugetsu couldn't shake an unsettling feeling, and his intuition proved right as they reached the bridge.

"Hold on. What the heck is this?" Tazuna exclaimed in panic, surveying the scene of scattered unconscious bodies of construction workers. A chill mist enveloped them, obscuring their surroundings.

"Sensei, they're here," Ugetsu urgently informed Kakashi, his voice tinged with apprehension. "Alright, Ugetsu, Sasuke, Sakura, get ready!" Kakashi commanded, prompting the genin to assume defensive stances. Suddenly, a familiar voice cut through the mist.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Kakashi," it taunted. It was Zabuza, Ugetsu's former master, his laughter echoing maniacally. "Ugetsu! Why are you still with those brats! Especially when that brat is trembling. Pitiful."

Ugetsu's expression hardened as they found themselves surrounded by Zabuza's clones. Sasuke's retort was met with encouragement from Kakashi. Drawing his kunai, Sasuke swiftly dispatched the clones, converting them into puddles of water with precise strikes.

"So you could see they were water clones, huh. Looks like you've got a rival, Haku," Zabuza remarked, stepping out of the mist alongside his companion.

"That's it. I'm taking him on," declared Sasuke, prompting Sakura's admiration.

Ugetsu watched her with a deadpan expression, silently wishing for similar attention.

Without warning, Haku unleashed a rapid spin, appearing in front of Sasuke in a blur. The ensuing clash was met with Kakashi's strategic instructions to protect Tazuna and support Sasuke, with Ugetsu stepping forward to assist.

Zabuza's derision towards Kakashi and Ugetsu's perceived weakness elicited a fierce response from the team leader.

Kakashi's declaration of the team's strengths, including Ugetsu's prowess, left Zabuza seething with anger. "You made a big mistake insulting these ninjas and calling them brats," Kakashi asserted firmly. "Sasuke is the best young fighter of the Hidden Leaf Village, and Sakura here is our sharpest mind. Ugetsu is more gifted than you can imagine, and last but not least, our number one hyperactive Knucklehead ninja is Naruto Uzumaki."

Zabuza's glare intensified as he acknowledged Ugetsu's reputation. "Oh, I know that Ugetsu is more gifted. In fact, back in our village, he's called the Ripper of the Hidden Mist."

Sasuke and Sakura stared at Ugetsu in shock over his nickname as Zabuza continued his verbal assault. "He's the best fighter until he ran away from the village and turned into a weakling in your village!"

Zabuza's words hit Ugetsu like a physical blow, his inner turmoil evident. The weight of his past and Zabuza's disappointment bore down heavily on him.

Zabuza turned to Haku, his tone filled with resolve. "Now, Haku, let's get on with it."