Chapter 13

~Vi~

I turned around quickly, plastering a fake smile on my face. My mom stood in the doorway, her mouth wide open, staring at the mess all around her. My smile quickly turned to a grimace, trying to think of a reply.

“Yeah... We kind of had an accident. Carter was trying to make some eggs and umm... He told me to look after them while he went to the bathroom and I guess I kind of forgot about them.”

I didn’t look behind me, hoping Carter knew that if he defended me and told my mom it was him, he would be in trouble. Fortunately he stayed silent behind me, apparently smarter than he looks. I stared at my mom, hoping she would believe it. It was pretty believable wasn’t it?

She looked around, her expression still one of disbelief. I bit my lip, hoping she wouldn’t freak out too much. My mom hated messes, and she hated cleaning them up even more.

I watched as she closed her, taking a deep breath before opening them again.

“I can let this go, but you are going to have to clean this up. I don’t want it here when I come back downstairs.”

When she finished, she shook her head, rubbing it gently and turning away. I sighed, relieved and watched her walk up the stairs. I turned back around to Carter, giving him a smile. He was staring after her, his eyes wide and his skin a little pale. I frowned, confused by his reaction.

“What’s wrong?”

Carter looked at me, then looked around him.

“I was so scared there for a minute, I don’t know what she would have done if you hadn’t taken the blame.”

I laughed, shaking my head at him and giving him a pat before moving towards the sink.

“Your welcome. Now we have to get started, this mess isn’t going to clean itself.”

Carter was silent, not moving to my side. I turned around to look at him. He was still standing in the same position, the same paleness taking over his skin, and a guilty look taking over his features.

“What’s wrong now?”

Carter hesitated, looking around him. He gulped when he saw the huge mess and then looked back at me, his eyes landing on the sponge in my hand.

“I’ve never cleaned anything in my life.”

I stood still, shocked. I stared at him, waiting for him to tell me he was joking. He stared back at me, his expression growing more and more guilty as time passed. I finally burst out laughing, bending over to hold my sides. Carter frowned, not finding it funny in the least. I looked up at him and tried to stop my laughter.

“It’s ok, I’ll teach you. Best for you to learn now instead of coming face to face to a mess that you have to clean up by yourself and no one is around to help you.”