Chapter 7

Silence. I grasped for something to say, struggling quietly. I was sure disbelief was painted across my face. I felt like someone had just slapped me awake. Satirick? Of course he’s a Satirick. It makes perfect sense, but why didn’t I see it earlier? Why didn’t Carter tell me?

John looked at me, waiting for a response and looking a little nervous at my expression. I could feel Carter standing beside me, I could feel his eyes on me, but I couldn’t look at them.

“Vi? Are you ok?”

I could hear the apology in Carters voice as he spoke, the plead to snap out of it. I tried to grasp myself, slowly taking hold of the situation.

Carter hadn’t told his parents he was dancing and he didn’t want them to know, so they obviously wouldn’t know who I was. I had no idea what to believe at this moment, but I knew I shouldn’t give Carter away until I knew what was going on.

I shook my head and smiled, nodding politely.

“I’m sorry, I was just... I was just surprised at the size of your house. I was momentarily shocked.”

I lied, stuttering softly. John’s eyes narrowed slightly, considering whether or not he should believe me. He nodded slowly, still cautious, but too worried about his son to continue questioning me.

“Carter! What have you done to yourself? How did this happen?”

He pushed passed me, my presence momentarily forgotten. I turned and winced, scrambling to think of an excuse for Carters leg.

“We were walking sir, and he took a stumble, hurting his leg on the way down. I’m a friend of Carters.”

I added quickly as John stared at me accusingly once more. Carter raised his eyebrows at my excuse, wincing at its falsity. I shrugged helplessly. I did the best I could in the circumstances.

John busied himself pulling Carter through the door and calling out for a maid to help. I stood awkwardly in the doorway, waiting for someone to notice me.

I watched for a few minutes as the chaos around Carter thickened. Eventually I could tell I wasn’t need anymore, and my presence wasn’t helping.

“I.. I think I’m going to go. I’ll see you around Carter, I guess. Hope you get better soon.”

Carter gave me a sad smile and a nod as his Dad closed the door behind me, pushing me down the steps. I gave one last look to the huge house, sighing in exhaustion before climbing into my car once more.

~

I lay in my bed that night, listening to my parent’s shouts floating up the stairs from the kitchen. I fiddled with my necklace, twisting it around my finger over and over again. I stared out my window, toning out the fighting.

I didn’t understand why Carter would keep something like that from me. What did he think I was going to do?

He acted so differently than I thought the Satiricks would act. Then again, I didn’t know the Satiricks very well. I had only heard about them from rumors, and rumors were rarely true. But still, aren’t rich people supposed to be snobs?

I sighed, pulling the covers farther up my body, and sliding into my bed. I needed to sleep, I would think about what I would do with Carter tomorrow, tonight I was going to dream.

~

~Carter~