Chapter 15

~Carter~

The last thing I saw before going under should have been my parents’ hopeful faces, holding each other’s hands in an attempt to convince themselves that the other needed the comfort more. Instead, as my vision started to blur and I slowly lost consciousness, all I saw was a masked doctor, looking down at me.

“Count with me. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven.”

Six...

Five…

Four...

I was in Craven’s. The sun was streaming pass the curtains in the window, turning the wooden floors into a happier shade of sandy-brown. Vivianne sat with her back against the mirrors, watching me and smiling encouragingly. I twisted to look down at my right leg, searching for the puckered pink scar that had become so familiar to me. I pulled my sweat pants up slowly to reveal smooth un-blemished skin. 

With disbelief radiating through my body, I straightened, looking to Vi for any sort of answer. She just looked at me, smiling quietly. 

“What are you looking at, silly? Come on, we don’t have all day. Show me this ‘awesome dance move’ you were so excited about earlier.”

I flexed both of my legs nervously. Vi turned to the speakers sitting next to her, pressing play. Alt-j’s “Breezeblocks” hit my ears like a clap, the drums pounding all the way through my body. I whipped around, extending my leg out in front of me as I leapt forward, landing on my knees. I twisted back up, spinning and kicking with newfound exhilaration. My muscles stretched happily, working with the rest of my body as I navigated my way around the room. No twinges or bursts of pain interrupted me, and before I knew it, I was standing in silence in the middle of the room, panting. I could feel the sweat dripping down my shoulders, tickling my hair follicles. My feet were steady beneath me, poised and ready to continue. 

It was magic.

“Carter.”

“Carter, wake up.”

I opened my eyes slowly, my lids heavy. Fluorescent lights beamed above me, white and sterile. I blinked, my eyes coming in and out of focus.

“He’s awake, ma’am.”

My mother’s head appeared over me. Her hair was a mess, like she hadn’t bothered to brush it. Her pupils were red and her cheeks were flushed, an expression I had never seen on her before. My mother was the epitome of professional; I had never seen her without a tight bun that contained all loose ends. This women hovering over me wasn’t my mother.

I tried to form words, but my mouth did not want to cooperate me. It was as if someone had stuffed as many cotton balls as they could fit down my throat. I croaked, attempting to communicate my thirst.

“Son, you just got out of surgery, you might be a little disoriented. Take it easy, lay back and I’ll get you some water.”

I nodded groggily, leaning back and closing my eyes again. I could hear my mother sniffling beside me. I tilted my head towards her and opened my eyes lethargically, reaching out my hand.

“It’s okay mom.” I managed to whisper, smiling weakly.

This just caused her to draw in a sharp breath, her shoulders shaking as she dropped her head to her hands. 

“My baby. Oh, my baby, I was so worried. I was so worried.”

I closed my eyes again and felt myself drift back to sleep. 

Two hours later I had managed to prop myself up into a seated position. My voice had returned to me. I fixed my attention on my leg, sitting bandaged in front of me. The doctor said that the surgery had gone almost perfectly. They were fairly confident that I would make a full and speedy recovery. All I could think about was Vivianne. I had just gotten off the phone with her seconds ago. I hadn’t had to say much to convince her to visit me. All I wanted right now was to see her. I couldn’t imagine what she was thinking; I hadn’t given her any sort of warning about my surgery. I don’t know why I didn’t tell her. Maybe I knew that it would scare her, something that I didn’t ever want to do. I needed to go through this by myself, for her. For us. 

Us. What was us?

I waited in silence, never taking my eyes away from my leg, half expecting it to disappear. 

“Carter.”

And there she was. Standing in the doorway in a crumpled pair of sweat pants, her hair piled on top of her head in a loose bun. She never looked so beautiful.

~Vivianne~

It hadn’t taken me long to get to the hospital; it was right around the corner from my house, within walking distance. I pushed through the doors, striding right up to the front desk and asked them where Carter’s room was. They pointed to the left, directing me to room 106. I thanked them, and sprinted down the corridor. 103. 104. 105. 106.

I slowed to a halt, panting.

I couldn’t move. What was I walking into? What would Carter look like? I didn’t know if I would be able to keep my composure. The shock of his news was still bouncing around my skull, evading any attempts to grasp onto it. Could I really face him now?

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

It’s Carter, Vi. The same old Carter. He hasn’t changed. He’s fine. He did this for us.

I opened my eyes, and straightened my shoulders, walking into the doorway.

Carter sat on the plastic hospital bed, a grey sheet pulled up to his stomach. His right leg was laid out before him, wrapped extensively in bright white bandages, his pink toes sticking out over the top. I looked up to meet his eyes. He smiled tiredly at me, his blond curls sticking in all directions. 

“Hey Vi.”

A sob burst out of my mouth, propelling me forward, and into his arms. He pulled me tight, stroking my hair as I curled myself into his chest. 

“Don’t ever do that to me again.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well. 

How long has it been? 2 years? 3 years?

So much for continuing this story as I promised last time. And let's be honest, I have no idea if I will continue even after this. But I just felt the inspiration. Who knows. 

Let me know what you think, I'd love some feedback!

Thanks for sticking with me guys ;)