Chapter 12

~Vi~

I walked down the stairs, rubbing my eyes wearily. I had just pushed myself out of bed and was on autopilot. I walked in to the kitchen, my eyesight still slightly blurry. I scratched my head, not even bothering to be careful not to mess my hair. I opened the refrigerator, looking inside.

I heard someone clear there throat right behind me, and I spun around, gasping. Carter was staring at me, a small smirk on his mouth.  He was wearing loose jeans, settling around his waist and a baggy t-shirt. He at least had the knowledge to comb his hair before going in the kitchen, unlike me. I must’ve looked like a mess.

My cheeks burned as I saw Carter look me up and down. His smirk grew wider as he saw my cheeks redden. I cleared my through, giving him an annoyed face, and placing my hand on my hip. I tried to ignore my blush as I spoke.

“What are you doing in here? And didn’t anyone ever teach you not to sneak up on people?”

Carter just stayed silent as he looked at me, a small smile still on his face. I started to become self-conscious – well more than I was before – and I shifter uneasily. I patted my hair, wondering if it looked that bad as I looked up at him.

“What? Why are you staring at me?”

Carter caught himself staring and shook his head turning around. I frowned, confused as he mumbled back at me. I turned back around after a minute, letting it go. I looked into the fridge for anything that looked good.

“So what’s for breakfast?”

I smirked, laughing quietly.

“You think I’m making breakfast? You’re on your own rich boy.”

I grabbed a carton of milk and started drinking out of it in Carters face. His eyes widened as he watched me sloppily slurping it down. I gave him a smile, and climbed back up the stairs, shutting the door behind me, leaving him to the kitchen.

~

~Carter~

I watched her walk up the stairs, her mouth plastered to the carton of milk. My nose wrinkled as I thought of the bacteria and germs gathered on that cap. I can’t believe she was uncivilized enough to do that.

I turned back towards the refrigerator, shaking myself and looking around for food. There were some eggs left and a bagel. I had never cooked before, but I had watched the maids cook. It didn’t look too hard and eggs and a bagel were simple. I shrugged, grabbing a couple of eggs and the bagel.

The bagel was easy enough, I just stuck a half in the toaster oven and waited, but the eggs were different. I had watched while the cooks had cracked the eggs expertly over the bowl, and so I tried that myself. The eggs splattered over the side of the bow, only half of the insides going in the bowl.

I swore under my breath, trying to clean under the bowl and pick out the eggshells in the bowl. It was harder than it looked, and the tiny pieces kept sliding away from my fingertips. I gave up after I had gotten the big pieces out, thinking a couple eggshells wouldn’t do anything. I mix the egg in the bowl, turning on the stove.

I poured the eggs onto the frying pan, feeling like I forgot about something. I shrugged, not thinking it was anything big and started stirring. It looked ok at first, but then the eggs starting turning black. I started to panic, smoke rising out of the pan, setting the fire alarm off. I covered my ears, looking around, panicked.

Vi came running out of her room, her eyes wide. Her alarmed expression disappeared as soon as she saw me. I was trying to turn off the stove and shove the pan into the sink at the same time, the black contents spilling all over the floor. She ran up to me, helping me but laughing at my attempt.

After we had managed to calm the fire alarm and turn off the stove, Vi looked around her. Her nose wrinkled as she took in the mess on the ground. The gooey black splotches spread across the floor.

“What were you even making? You killed it so bad, I can’t even tell.”

She giggled as she looked around her. I didn’t find this very funny. In fact it was kind of discouraging. I didn’t think I would be a great cook right away, but I thought I would do better than this.

“Eggs.”

Vi looked at me, a little surprised and burst out laughing once more. I wrinkled my nose at her, disapproving. I know it looked bad, but I had tried right?

“How did they end up like this?”

I shrugged, thinking back through the process, trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

“I cracked the eggs, picked out the shells, mixed it, and then put it on the stove.. “

I stopped there as I saw Vi shake her head. I frowned, confused. What had I done wrong? I looked around, thinking. Had I cracked the egg wrong? Was it the eggshells? I looked at Vi for the anwser, confused. She laughed at my expression, amused I couldn’t tell what I had done wrong.

“You are supposed to put something in the pan before you put the eggs in. Either oil or butter, preferably the butter but either one. If you don’t it burns.”

I groaned, smacking my head. How could I forget! I had watched people do that millions of times, how could I not remember. I looked around me once more bewildered.

Just at that moment I heard a gasp. Vi’s mom had just walked in, still in her pyjama’s. She looked around her in disbelief, taking in the smoking pot in the sink and the contents on the floor.

“What happened here?!”

Uh oh. Maybe I should wait a while to cook by myself. The result wasn’t so pleasing.  

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!

So here's a look at the limited things Carter can do. Tried  to make it amusing and realistic lol I hope you like it. 

Yeah so not everyone in middle class drinks out of the carton but some people do, and I wanted to show a contrast between Carter and Vi. I hope you middle classers and angry lol no offense meant =)

Sorry I was late on the uploading, I am not going to change the schedule because I posted this in the morning and I still can upload the next. Sorry about it though, I had a lot of homework and I wasn't able to upload it until this morning when I finished it.

So yea! Thanks for reading! Vote and comment! Thanks!