Celebrations

After the wedding commenced, the grand celebrations began. A tourney, the outcome of which was eagerly awaited by all, was hosted in Kings Landing. Many knights, each with their tale of courage and skill, were competing in the lists. The favourite among them was the Uncle of the groom, Prince Daemon, the Rogue Prince, who had agreed to enter the lists on his behalf after the King refused to allow his son to enter the competition for fear of losing him to a rogue sword or lance.

As lances crossed between competitors, the crowds buzzed with cheers and laughter, and many knights fell to the ground. In the royal box, the King sat in his thoughts, mulling over his son's decision at the wedding feast. He could not help but worry about the future of his house after his declaration not to consummate his marriage until his bride was of age, which would not be for three years, meaning there would not be any new Targaryen in that time as Rhaeynra had no plans of marrying and Daemon was well Daemon.

His concerns made him think he should remarry to further his line and secure his house, as his line was at risk with very few Targaryens alive at the time and many dragons without Princes or princesses to ride them. Indeed, having more children would not cause further problems down the line.

Viserys would, however, be abruptly pulled out of his thoughts by the thunderous cheers of the crowds. His brother Daemon had won the joust and had crowned his daughter as queen of love and beauty. Such antics, though familiar, were a constant source of irritation to the King. He had grown accustomed to them, but he was unwilling to entertain the love and admiration shared between Uncle and niece, especially not in hopes of further alliances for the crown.

The time for him to escape in his thoughts was now at an end as the royal box. Crowds shifted to the afternoon's main event: the dragon races, which excited the nobles as it would be the first time many of the young ones would see the creatures upon which the power of House Targaryen rested.

Gathered in the opening on the dragon pit rested many of the adult dragons held by the crown and House Velaryon, with their riders and family members preparing themselves for the race.

The important couple decided they would not ride together, with Laena wanting to beat her new husband in the race. She had agreed to ride with her mother, Princess Rhaenys, on the back of the red queen, Meleys, famed for being the fastest dragon in the realm; there was no chance they could lose.

Prince Aelor stood at the side of his mount, Heatfyre. The dragon had grown considerably since the nobles had last seen it, now large enough to carry two and formidable enough to burn down a manse in mere moments. The dragon stood regal, watching his rider, his platinum and golden scales shimmering in the daylight, a beautiful sight to many who bore witness. It was clear why many called him the King's dragon.

Then there was Caraxes and the Rogue Prince. The slender dragon, known as the Bloodwyrm, was mighty and prideful like his rider and relished the challenge of claiming his superiority in the skies among his brethren. The dragon's streamlined figure made him the favourite among all the lords betting on the race winners. They stated that it would allow him to pick up speed better than the other dragons ever could, not paying attention to the agile and swift younger dragon.

Selareys, the violet queen, was in attendance with her rider, Lady Daeyns, and her beautiful purple scales were on display for all to see. Daenys had recently been wed herself, coming to the festivities for her new husband, Arnold Arryn. The cocky and prideful fool still thought of himself as the true leader of the Vale, commanding his wife to stand with him; she, however, would play no part, instead insisting on going to the wedding. He relented, stating he should appeal to his grace anyway for his seat and also put a word in for the Prince, saying, "No woman is fit to rule any kingdom besides the one of a man's groin."