Chapter 33: The Truth Revealed

[Zeef's POV]

He trod away from the ghastly aftermath with an unsettling peace, displaying a ghostly indifference to the gruesome spectacle he'd just produced. Not a flicker of remorse crossed his features, nor did he spare a glance back at the scene of atrocity. Instead, a haunting melody fled his lips, its origin unknown but its effect undeniable. To him, it might have been a soothing lullaby, but to us, it resonated as nothing short of a chilling invocation from the depths of darkness.

Zeef:
L-Lee?

Lee:
I'll explain in just a second. Before that, Mr Ninja.

Kuriyami:
What is it?

Lee:
Time to put those [Greedy Eyes] to good use! Have a peak and make sure the nephew is up to date.

He knows about [Greedy Eyes]!? That's supposed to be a top secret that I only know of because Uncle Kuriyami was insistent on proving to me that he was cooler than my dad!

Kuriyami:
Damn that Riece and Thaijou! Alright I'll humor you and... I see...

Zeef:
Uncle?

Kuriyami:
Everything is covered in a fog of undead magic! I can't even see my own bloody hand in front of my own bloody face!

Zeef:
Huh!? She's just releasing her mana recklessly like that!? What's the point!?

Kuriyami:
It's actually a tactic to blind those with investigative skills like [Greedy Eyes]. A stupid double-edged sword type of tactic, but a tactic nonetheless. Looks like they're wary of me!

Lee:
Ha! You? As far as they're concerned, you're already running around in the afterlife, courtesy of that tree plucker I stumbled upon near your sorry self.

Kuriyami:
I won that fight!

Lee:
You think they'd know that? They're up against Thaijou Rougues, the man with the title 'Strongest in Doava', as well as Riece Coldwart, the guy who's not only so damn smart that you came here hoping to rely on him while attacking us, but also caused this seasonal shift! Those guys probably have zero coordination and communication to figure out what's going on right now!

Why do I feel like he just insulted us more than the enemy? (  ̄﹏ ̄)

Kuriyami:
In that case, who are they wary of? You?

Lee:
Damn right.

Kuriyami:
Of course it's you...

Zeef:
Is it strange that I'm not surprised?

Lee:
Nope. I've got a move called [Scrutiny] which is basically [Greedy Eyes] but a million times better.

Kuriyami:
A million times better you say? I doubt that (¬‿¬)

Lee:
Not only can I see mana like you can, I can also see way more like the inner workings of the body, including its, organs, organ systems yada yada yada.

Kuriyami:
Say what ( ・_・) ??

Looks like he's been dealt some damage.

Lee:
Organ systems include the nervous system, which I was keeping an eye on just now to see which corpse was moving first, since-

Zeef:
The one that moves first is the one closest to the undead user! That's genius!

Lee:
T-Thanks....

Kuriyami:
So you're going after Alsia now?

Lee:
Alsia? Oh yeah I think she mentioned her name being something like that... no.