Chapter 21 : A plan for home

Chapter 21

Later...    

Riker POV

I couldn't sleep. And Rocky had already fallen asleep. So I don't really want to wake him up. I feel like I've already been so much of a problem, waking him up or keeping him up at night, or even just wasting his time because of my panicking.

I'm just becoming so anxious for the court decision.

I sat up. I just want to live here where Rocky lets me leave the light on at night and he sleeps next to me and nothing scary happens, except for Ross, but that's hardly scary compared to how it is at home.

I could just feel my chest getting tighter and tighter. So I shook Rocky awake even though I really didn't want to.

"Riker, what's wrong?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

I put my hands on my chest.

"Are you getting panicky? Is it hard to breathe?"

I nodded.

"Was it a nightmare?" Rocky asked, sitting up.

I shook my head no.

"What happened?"

He handed me my phone.

I can't sleep. I'm too anxious. What if the court decides to send me back home? I don't want to go back. I want to stay here with you.

"I'm worried about that too. But maybe I could help. It would be easier if I knew what happened to you though. Like if you have to go back home, if you could get evidence of your parents doing whatever it is they did to you, you could go to the police with it and they could get you back out of there. And maybe back to us."

How am I supposed to get evidence?

"You could record it with your phone. Like... I don't know what they do to you so this is hard... If they're hitting you, you could try to get it on video. Or you could take pictures of your injuries if you get hurt."

I'm not allowed to have a phone.

"So don't tell them."

But I don't want to get in trouble.

"I get that, but if they're hurting you, you need evidence so they can get you out of there."

But I'm scared.

"I know you're scared. But if they make you go back home, I think that's the best plan of what you should do."

How am I supposed to get to the police?

"How about this? If they do something to you, try to get evidence. Then you can send it to me or dad. And we can get it to the police for you, ok?"

I set my phone down and clung onto Rocky.

"You'll be fine, Riker. If something happens, we'll get you right back out of there, ok?"

I tried my hardest to stay calm, but I started crying. Rocky laid down and pulled me down beside him. I buried my face in his chest as he rubbed my back.

"It's ok, Riker. Maybe they won't even decide to send you back home."

Later...

Rocky POV

Riker didn't want to leave bed today. I think he was upset about last night and scared about what the court would decide.

He didn't come down for breakfast or lunch. And I was currently trying to get him to come down for dinner.

"Riker, whether you stay here or not, you still need to eat."

He was laying in my bed, staring blankly up at me.

"Please?"

He didn't move.

"What can I do to help make you feel better?"

Riker grabbed my hand and pulled me closer.

"What if I brought dinner up here and ate with you? Then would you eat dinner?"

He nodded.

"Ok."

I got up and went downstairs. Everyone was looking at me, wondering if Riker was going to come down.

"Riker really doesn't want to eat," I said.

"Is he still anxious about the court decision?" Dad asked.

"Yeah. But he agreed to eat dinner if I bring it upstairs."

I put some mac and cheese in 2 bowls and brought them upstairs. Riker sat up and I got in bed next to him.

"Here. Try to eat all of it. You haven't eaten all day," I said, handing the bowl to him.

I put on a movie on my laptop to give him something to focus on because I know the only thing he was thinking about was going back home. I need to get his mind off of that.

After a little while, he'd finished all of it, so I set his bowl on the nightstand.

"I'm proud of you, Riker. You're doing good."

He turned and cuddled into my side.

"How about tonight, I leave my laptop on with a movie so you can focus on just listening to the movie instead of your own thoughts, ok?"

He nodded.

"Ok, just let me know if you need anything."

Riker grabbed his phone and texted me.

Water please?

"Sure."

I brought our bowls downstairs to the kitchen and got Riker a cup of ice water.

"How is he?" Dad asked.

"Anxious. But he ate. I think the problem is he can't escape his own thoughts. He just keeps thinking about it over and over again and getting himself all nervous. So I put on a movie to try to distract him. And I'm leaving one on for him to fall asleep to."

"I think that's a good idea. I'm really proud of you, Rocky. You're taking really good care of him."

"I just want him to feel better."

I went back upstairs and gave Riker the water.

"Do you just want to watch movies for the rest of the night?"

Riker nodded.

"Ok. I have one I want you to watch because it's really good. When this one is finished, we should watch Pirates of the Caribbean."

Riker cuddled into my side again. I'll have to see if he's able to fall asleep tonight. We have school tomorrow and we already missed school on Friday so it wouldn't be good to miss Monday too.