Chapter 7 : Can't sleep

Chapter 7

Later...    

Riker POV

Stormie had gotten me a splint for my finger, so she untaped my fingers and put the splint on for me. I still can't bend my finger.

Rocky and I were in our room in bed and I was trying to fall asleep. I was exhausted from today.

I was just so anxious though. I know Mark is going to make me try the shower again at some point. And I'm still really nervous to be here. I don't even really know everyone here yet. And what if I have a nightmare?

I just kept tossing and turning and trying to fall asleep, but I couldn't. So I sat up. Rocky was still awake, on his phone.

"Riker, you ok?" He asked, noticing I was sitting up now.

I shook my head no.

"What's wrong?"

I don't know how to tell him I can't fall asleep.

"Do you need something?"

I shook my head no.

"I need a hint. This is really hard."

I don't know how to give him a hint.

He got up and got a notebook and pen.

"Here, write it down," he said, handing it to me.

I wrote down that I was anxious and couldn't sleep and then handed it back to him.

"Oh... Well is there anything I can do to help? We could turn off the light-"

I grabbed his hand, stopping him, and shook my head no.

"Ok, we can keep it on. But I don't know what to do to help."

Rocky sat down on his bed again. We both sat there in silence for about a minute and then I slowly got up and went over to his bed.

"Do you want to sleep over here?" Rocky asked.

I nodded.

"Ok. Get in."

He lifted the covers so I could get under. I curled up, close to the wall and laid down. It made me feel better to be closer to Rocky. And I was glad I could sleep on the side closer to the wall. It felt safer.

"Let me know if you need anything else," Rocky said.

I nodded and shut my eyes.

Later...

Rocky POV

I woke up because Riker was having a panic attack. Or at least that's what I think it is.

He locked himself in the bathroom and I couldn't get him out. And I was getting really worried about him.

"Riker, come on. Please open the door," I said quietly, trying not to wake everyone up.

I sighed. I think I need to get dad.

I silently walked down the hall to mom and dad's room and shook dad until he woke up.

"Rocky, what is it?"

"Riker had a panic attack and locked himself in the bathroom. I can't get him out."

Dad got up and followed me to the bathroom. He got the key from above the door and unlocked it.

Riker was sitting on the floor with his knees pulled to his chest. And he had his face buried in his knees.

"Riker, what happened? Was it a nightmare?" Dad asked.

Dad sat down next to him on the floor. I sat down on the floor too, across from them.

Dad gently put his hands under Riker's arms and lifted him onto his lap. Riker instantly turned his face into dad's shoulder and started crying really hard.

"Riker, it's ok. You're safe. You don't have anything to worry about," dad said, holding him tight.

We sat there for a few minutes. I could tell Riker was calming down.

"Riker, do you want to try going back to bed?" Dad asked.

Riker shook his head no and clung onto dad.

"Alright," dad said, picking him up.

"What are we doing?" I asked, standing up too.

"You can go back to bed. I'm going to take Riker downstairs for a little while."

"Ok."

I went back to my room. I was wondering why Riker was having such a problem with sleeping.

I got back in bed and fell back asleep really quick.

Riker POV

Mark set me down on the couch and went into the kitchen. I was nervous he was mad at me.

A few minutes later, he came back in with a mug in his hand. He set it down on the table and then sat down. He pulled me back onto his lap and then gave me the mug. I took a sip of it. It was hot chocolate.

He put the TV on and let me just sit on his lap, drinking the hot chocolate.

"Riker do you have a phone?"

I shook my head no.

"I'm going to get you a phone tomorrow. That way you can tell me what's bothering you and I won't have to guess anymore."

He's really going to buy me a phone?

"So what happened? Did you have a panic attack?"

I nodded.

"Was it from a nightmare?"

I nodded again.

"Ok."

I finished drinking my hot chocolate. Mark put the mug back on the coffee table for me.

"Riker, I know you're really anxious. And you're anxious about sleeping. Is it your bed? Or your room? Or something else?"

I can't explain it to him without words.

Mark took out his phone and opened his notepad app. He handed it to me.

Bedtime has always been scary. Bad things happen at night.

"Ok, so just being in bed in your bedroom is freaking you out?"

I nodded.

"Well that would explain why you seem to be able to fall asleep down here with me with no problem."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him tight. He sighed and hugged me back.

"What if I took you back upstairs to bed, but I stayed with you? Do you think you could sleep if I was there?"

I could try.

"Ok. Let's do that then. Maybe if you practice sleeping in bed, it'll get easier."

Can I have some water?

"Yes. You head upstairs. I'll bring you some water."

I handed his phone back to him and got up. I went upstairs and used the bathroom. And then I went to mine and Rocky's room. Rocky had left the light that was on the nightstand on. And he was fast asleep.

I got in bed and waited for Mark. He came in about a minute later and handed me a cup of ice water. I drank some of it and then set it down on the nightstand.

Mark got in bed beside me. I laid down and curled up next to him. He pulled the blankets over me.

"Do you still feel anxious?" He whispered, not wanting to wake Rocky.

I nodded.

"Riker, I promise you're safe and you won't get hurt, ok?"

He put his arm around me, so I moved closer to him and buried my face in his side.

"Riker, if you have another nightmare or panic attack, just wake me up and I'll help you through it, ok?"

I nodded, cuddling into his side. Maybe I can actually get some sleep tonight and I won't be exhausted tomorrow.