Chapter 9 : Power outage

Chapter 9

Later...      

Rocky POV

I was still really mad at Ross for what he said about Riker earlier. He doesn't understand. He hasn't spent time with Riker. Or seen how scared he was last night.

We don't know what Riker's gone through. And from what we already know about the shower, I don't think we want to know.

Dad had left to go get Riker a phone. He said he'd be back around dinner. I was glad he was getting Riker a phone though. Then he can text us to tell us what he wants to say and we don't have to guess anymore. I just want him to be able to feel safe and tell us if he needs something.

I told mom and Rydel what happened earlier with Ross and mom said she would talk to him later today. She was making cookies with Rydel right now.

So I was on the couch with Ryland, playing video games. I think Ross was upstairs by himself.

"What are we having for dinner tonight?" Ryland asked.

"I think mom mentioned tacos," I said.

"Do you think Riker likes being here?"

"Um... Well... I mean I think he likes dad. And I'm sure he likes being here more than at his house where he was getting... I was going to say hit but I don't know if we know what his parents were doing to him. Abusing him somehow. But he's extremely anxious."

"Even if he's anxious, he could still like being here."

"That's true..."

Suddenly the power went out and it was completely dark in here.

"No! Our cookies are only half baked!" Rydel said from the kitchen.

I put on the flashlight on my phone and went into the kitchen. Rydel and mom had the oven open and were looking at their half baked cookies with a flashlight.

"That sucks," I mumbled.

"Will we be able to continue baking them when the power comes back on?" Rydel asked.

"We can try. It might work," mom said.

"Guys. Riker," I said, realizing he didn't like the dark and he was all alone upstairs.

"He's in the bath, Rocky," mom said, as I started running up the stairs.

I ran down the hall and knocked on the door.

"Riker? Are you ok?"

Of course he's not going to answer. I forgot he doesn't talk again.

"Riker, I'm coming in, ok?"

I slowly opened the door. Riker was sitting on the floor with a towel wrapped around himself, crying.

"Hey, you're ok. The storm just knocked out the power. That's all."

I set my phone down on the sink counter and sat down next to Riker on the floor.

"It's ok, Riker."

There was a huge crack of thunder and Riker jumped. And then he started shaking. But I think he was just shivering from being cold.

"Why don't you get dressed and then we can hang out, ok?"

Riker grabbed my wrist, stopping me from leaving.

"You want me to stay?"

He nodded.

"Ok."

I stood up and handed him his clothes. He got dressed and then I took him to our bedroom. I had him get in his bed because I want him to be able to feel safe there. And I got in next to him. He curled up beside me, so I put my arm around him, trying to make him feel safer. I don't know if he's scared because it's dark, or loud, or just the storm in general. Or all of that.

He buried his face in my shoulder. But he wasn't crying anymore and he wasn't shaking. I think he trusts me to keep him safe.

"It's just a storm. It knocked out the power, but it'll probably be back really soon. We're having tacos for dinner and then possibly half baked cookies," I said, laughing.

Riker seemed like he relaxed slightly and he wasn't so tense anymore.

"And dad went out to go buy you a phone. So then you can text us to tell us things instead of us trying to guess."

I looked down at Riker. His eyes were shut. So I turned off my flashlight and started playing games on my phone. If he's able to fall asleep here, that would be amazing.

Later...

Riker POV

Rocky woke me up for dinner. The power was back on and I was really glad.

When we got downstairs, we went to the kitchen. I saw Mark sitting at the table, so I immediately went over to him and wrapped my arms around him tight. He pulled me onto his lap and held me tight.

"Riker, I got you a phone and put in everyone's numbers so you can text any of us. Have you ever had a phone?"

I shook my head.

"Ok. You can take some time to learn how to use it."

He handed me the phone. It had a blue case on it.

"Alright, go take a seat for dinner," he said.

I got up and took a seat next to Rocky. We were having tacos.

Later...

Riker POV

After dinner, I helped Rocky do the dishes because he asked me if I would help. After I was done, I went into the living room and spotted Mark. He was sitting on the couch with a cup of tea. So I went over and sat on his lap again. He put his arm around me, holding me tight.

"Why does he always sit on your lap?" Ross asked.

Ross and Ryland were playing video games.

"Because he has anxiety and it makes him feel better," Mark said.

"Why can't he just sit by himself?" Ross asked.

"Ross, I'm tired of hearing your thoughts and questions about Riker today."

I laid my head against Mark's shoulder and shut my eyes. I'm kind of tired of hearing Ross's thoughts and questions about me too.

"Riker."

I opened my eyes and saw Rocky. He was holding a cookie out to me. So I took it. He gave one to Mark too.

It tasted really good. I never used to be able to eat cookies. My parents didn't want me eating things with sugar.

When I was done with the cookie, I closed my eyes again. I just want to stay here forever. But I have a feeling Mark is going to make me sleep upstairs in my bedroom tonight. But if I'm lucky, Rocky will let me sleep in his bed where I feel safer.