Part Thirty Four

A/N Sorry laptop failed and I lost all this chapter. Rewrites are NEVER as good, but there you go. Back on track...again! MZ

Chapter Thirty Three

"Are you feeling any better darling?"

Freya opened her eyes and watched her mother cross the garden towards her smiling. The last six weeks at home had been brilliant. She'd arrived in Heathrow to be met by her parents, and whilst she feared it would be awkward or different, the three of them had fallen into a huge group hug and it had all been amazing since. They'd then spent the last few weeks chatting, touring, visiting the local sights, and eating amazing food. Her mother had even taught her how to cook a few meals. All in six weeks.

She didn't let herself think about the life she'd left behind. The MIT part of it or the Mitchell Cooper part. He'd been true to his word, driving her to the nearest town, then standing leaning against the nearby wall, watching as the bus drove out of town. As it turned right out of the main street, she had caught her last glimpse of him, retreating to the car like the cowardly bastard that he was.

The journey back to his home had been arduous, and involved an overnight stop in a train station in Ontario. But as the taxi had pulled up outside the warehouse the following morning, she had stood and pondered what to do next. She hadn't set foot in her rooms above the garage since Simon had assaulted them. But now it felt strange to go into the warehouse without Mitchell Cooper being around.

As she started to make her way anxiously in the direction of the garage, the warehouse door flew open, and there stood the welcome sight of her brother, Oscar. Never had she needed him in her life more than that moment, and as she fell into his arms in a supportive hug, she cried rivers into his shoulder.

Inside over tea he listened intently as she told him the full story of Simon, of course she had to tell him about all that had happened back in MIT, and exactly why she'd had to leave. He was shocked, she could tell, but his support was unwavering which was what she needed more than anything.

"What about Cooper?" He asked once she got to the end of her tale. She could implicate his friend, tell him all that happened, but it wasn't Oscar's business and she wasn't about to influence his friendship.

"He had a hell of a black eye, but he's ok. We went to his lake cabin to keep a low profile, but I came back because the police need me, Simon is refusing to cooperate unless I see him."

He shook his head, "I can't let that happen."

"It's not your decision. If he doesn't cooperate, this becomes a huge trial, I'll have to testify. I just want it over, done. Then I can get on with my life."

Oscar hadn't liked the idea, but he accompanied her to the station, then waited whilst she entered the room that contained the man who'd threatened her, and tried to ruin her career, reputation...everything.

Simon was like nothing she expected. He was sat at a desk, his hands shackled to the table. He looked up when she entered the room and his expression surprised her, she expected animosity, anger, resentment, but he looked resigned, sad.

"I didn't think you'd come."

She could barely look him in the eye, "you don't deserve it. But I want this over with."

He nodded, "I never meant to hurt you."

"What back in MIT when you humiliated me in front of my colleagues, lifelong friends and your wife? Or when you sabotaged the work that we put EVERYTHING into? Or when you stormed into in my home and tried to hold me hostage, threatening my cats and hurting my landlord? Which bit Simon?"