Part Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Freya had looked at her sparse wardrobe more than a dozen times, other than the outfit she'd borrowed from Krystal, she had nothing suitable for a date, not that this was a date. Not really. It seemed that Mitchell Cooper was out to teach her a lesson. She had to settle for her black skinny jeans, her best converse and a fairly fitted blue t-shirt with a slogan across the breasts, a science 'in-joke', the words Without Science, life is ... then a portrait of the 'famous' scientist Niels Bohr and an engagement ring. It was a cheesy science gag, "boring", a Christmas gift from a colleague the previous year. It was a bit weird more than funny, but it was clearly the most shapely and probably smartest thing she possessed. She had contact lenses that she hadn't worn other than the previous night. For her trip out with Cooper she wore her glasses, but she did wear her hair down, it was still poker straight from Krystal's session of straightening it the previous day.

It was just after six when she knocked on Cooper's door. He hadn't suggested that he'd pick her up, obviously making sure she was under no illusion that this was a date. That made her want to laugh...if she wasn't so petrified at the thought of what the next few hours would bring.

                "So what's the score with old bookworm?"

Coop looked up from his stool at the bar to see Natalie drying glasses across the bar from him.  From anyone else he'd have snapped a retaliation, maybe even punched them, but to the barmaid stood across from him, he gave a half smile, "you have NO idea."

Natalie laughed and slid him another bottle of beer, which he took gratefully. They'd been at the bar for half an hour, and the place was quieter than some Sundays. Despite that, he was still determined to show Freya exactly what she was getting herself into. Freya had disappeared to the bathroom, after sipping quietly at her beer. He'd driven to the bar, but planned to leave his SUV there if he had a few drinks. But she was looking a little green around the gills, the after effects of the previous night maybe, so he didn't anticipate them being there that long. Not really.

                "You need anything boss?"

He glanced at Natalie again and was tempted to mutter, "divine intervention." But he didn't. Instead he gave her a half smile and returned his eyes to his beer, wondering for the umpteenth time that evening why he was there, and how the hell he could get out of this situation unscathed. At best Freya would hate him, at worst Oscar...and half the world would join in. Groaning he dropped his head and closed his eyes.

                "So what's the point of this?"

Coop turned sharply to his right at the sound of her voice to see her sat back on her stool watching him, "being here?" She nodded so he took a deep breath and then added, "well, this place will be busy soon, and I'm about to fill you in on the details of some of the regulars who drink here."

Forty minutes later he'd identified a dozen or more regulars, three were married, though attended the bar most nights to see what they could pick up, one in particular, Martin had three boys...his wife had arrived at the bar on several occasions to drag him home, screaming at whatever woman he was draped over.

                "It's the wives fault for putting up with that. I never would!"

He'd laughed, "they have no income, kids, and a man who won't let them do anything on their own. Not everyone is used to being independent; these men know that they win all ways. You want to be another notch on one of their dirty bedpost?"