Part Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

"I think the blue suits you!" Freya's mother giggled as she tried on yet another pair of sunglasses from the selection displayed on a blanket beside the beach bar they were having coffee at. Freya herself had purchased a pair of red plastic love heart sunglasses, and when her mother slipped on the blue star shaped glasses, they both burst into laughter.

"You know now that we have to wear them all day?"Her mother looked over the top of the glasses at her daughter as she sipped delicately at the espresso in front of her.

Freya nodded, "I have NO problem with that."

After paying their bill they left the beach front bar and continued their journey along the front. Every day they strolled the length of the beach, then around the busy harbour to the shops. Each day they picked a different place for lunch, each time sat out in the street drinking in the sunshine. And talking.

They'd shared everything over the days together, except what had happened with Mitchell Cooper. She didn't mention him...at all. Whether her mother was wise to that, she didn't know. Her silence over it all wasn't that obvious she hoped. But that early afternoon as they sat on Calle Mayor overlooking a small plaza eating freshly made paella, her mother broached the subject, rather indirectly.

"So tell me about this lake that you went to...whilst you were waiting for Simon to be apprehended."

Freya took a deep breath, how to talk about it without mentioning Mitchell Cooper, that was the hard thing.

"Yeah, it was a lovely cabin, right on the water, Oscar's friend owns it."

"Coop? Such a nice boy! Did he take you there?"

Again she took a deep breath, then tried to change the subject, "I REALLY have to learn to drive, it's killing me being so dependent on public transport."

"Well don't ask your brother or your father to teach you, they have the patience of Darth Vader. He'd be good Coop. Ask him when you go back."

Gulping Freya stared at her mother, she hadn't thought about what happened next. Would she go back to America? She had left and hadn't thought beyond that, but she still had a lot to sort out over there, her life's possessions were stored half in Massachusetts, and half in upstate New York. If she decided to come back to Britain permanently, then she had to end things across the Atlantic, and that meant travelling back, seeing him. But she couldn't hide, this was her life and she wanted to take control of it once again.

"Not sure what I'm going to do Mum."

Her mother looked surprise, "you may not go back?" When Freya shrugged she offered, "you'll be cleared of that happened, I mean the education world is back open to you, surely?"

Again she shrugged, "I'm not sure I want to do that again...I mean look how it ended. Greed, anger, pain. I can do without that." She started to tell her mother about her adventure into baking, how she'd enjoyed making bread and cakes with enthusiasm, and her mother sat back in the seat staring at her with wonder.

"What?"

She shook her head, "for someone who doesn't know what they want from life, you've sure got a new passion in your life."

"Well we'll see how it goes...it's something a bit different."

Her mother nodded, "you're right about that. And it's nice to see you finally seem happy...I've missed that desire in you, that drive."