Ropes of Fate: Chapter 36

Orange bled into red that bled into pink that bled into the grey of the early morning sky as Orion and I stood in the courtyard of the Amber Castle.

The structure seemed to much taller in the watery light of the early morning as we strapped the bag to the side of Bedisa, the Nivia horse, a breed of horse known for their pure white coats. They were said to be crafted for the Goddess of Ice and Snow, Nivia, by her lover, the Goddess of Flame and Ash, Aedmani.

I'd read a retelling of their love story in the Summer, I'd stolen it from Aphina's bookshelf. She didn't read as much as I did, but when she did, she opted for books on the history of the Kingdoms and the ancient Gods and Goddesses. Any scrap of information I knew she'd probably told to me as we lay on a grassy plateau of the lake near Bluebell Cottage, watching the sun die in the sky. Aphina had left when the air turned chilly and night ravished day. I'd stayed out until father had joined me, until we'd spotted our favourite constellations and talked through our days.

"You ok?", Orion came up beside me as I stroked the nose of Besida, earning a satisfied grunt.

"I will be", when I finally find the answers I'm looking for.

Ivor's death had brought me answers, just none in relation to the tattoo snaking up my arm. As if even the history books could offer no explanation nor supposedly ancient prophecy books.

His hand snaked around my waist slightly, a soft comfort as he guided me to the side of the horse and helped me into the saddle.

I wished I could ride Celeste. But Besida was beautiful too, as if she radiated the light herself, a beacon in the dirty light of dawn.

Orion climbed into the saddle behind me, a lot more gracefully than I had. We were close together. I could feel all of his body pushed up against mine. I felt his hand snake around my waist again, pulling me even closer as he tugged on the reigns.

Besida flew. Flew was the only word I could use to describe the speed of the horse. She wasn't the Nymare, the sky was their terrain, but the earth was hers as her hooves pounded against it and she ran through the gates and down the sloping hill into Liana.

Orion and I had opted for green hoods that concealed most of our features. Both wearing our black riding leathers, which kept the morning chill from seeping into my still aching bones.

Liana was no longer a bustling hub of life, stalls previously laden with gingered tea and sugared raspberries were barren slates of wood. The air smelled of dampness, a light frosting of condensation covering the stray blades of grass peeking through the limestone path.

I couldn't explain the feeling of loneliness that always rushed over me at this time of morning. The quietness pressed in on me. As if the growing light from the sun shone directly on me, uncovering my deepest secrets and fears.

At night, the darkness wasn't lonely, it was comforting. It no longer felt as if the world was watching. As if I could be alone with my thoughts and not be judged.

I wasn't sure why I felt like that. Aphina was the opposite. She loved the early morning sunshine, seeing so much hope in it. I wish I could see it that way. Instead, I preferred to sleep just as the sun came up. As if I was afraid what the light would reveal.

"What are you thinking about?", Orion tightened his grip on my waist as we finally made it out of the small city and into the dense foliage of a thicket of trees.

"Aphina", a lone breeze drifted through the path, blowing against my cloak but not chilling me as Orion's heat brushed over my body.

"Tell me about her", his words were soft, a request not a command.