Threads of Treachery: Chapter 12

It was 6pm, the chiming of the clock tower in the capital barely audible, becoming a whisper as it carried on the wind. I had to say, I looked good. My face had filled out a little more, a rosy glow returning to my cheeks, my lips no longer dull but soft and sensual, I smiled slightly remembering the memory of Rupert, and the rich green and gold of my eyes striking. The gown I'd chosen accentuated the woman's body I'd grown into, the shiny, emerald green material cutting close to my waist and the sheer skirts of the gown accentuating the curves of my hips. The panelled bodice flecked with gold and green crystals, cupping my breasts in a slightly scandalous manner. The sleeves tied at my shoulders in delicate, mesh bows. I'd kept my hair and makeup simple, a slight bit of kohl lining around my eyes, and lips painted in a peachy pink colour. My hair was curled slightly at the ends and hung like a flowing curtain down my back, decorated slightly with a thin headband that looked like a golden vine.

When I entered my room, I found a rack of dresses waiting for me. The note was from Nefta, telling me to choose a dress for this evening and for the ball tomorrow evening. All the dresses were beautiful, mostly the colours of this Kingdom, a million shades of blues, sky-blue, deep cerulean, seafoam. But there was one dress of the most stunning shade of green I'd ever laid my eyes on. I'd initially put it aside to wear to the ball tomorrow, but decided to wear it this evening, when I would be privately dining with the Queen. So she could see me in the colours of my Kingdom, not hers. I'd sooner chop my own head off than waltz into that room with one of the blue gowns.

I knew this was a test of submission, how much I'd relinquished hope of returning to the Kingdom of Harmony and Prosperity, I'd almost worn the simple cerulean gown. Until I realised that no matter how docile the mouse was, the cats would always end up eating it. If I was to become a tiger, I needed to paint the stripes myself, not wait for them to be drawn for me. Even if I wanted to play the dutiful guest, that burning rage as that brutal symphony of steel and air and death filled my ears and the image of the sword making a clean cut across Father's head made small, little flowers grow on the green vines. The satin, gold gloves I wore covered the green tattoo and matched the golden slippers I'd slipped on as I made my way the door.

I opened the door and leant against the frame, "Let's go". Theodore and the other guards turned, shock coated all of their faces as I stepped into the cool corridor.

"You look ... beautiful", I think Theodore actually lost his breath for a second as I linked my arm through his again.

"You look quite handsome yourself", he was clearly dining with us as well, outlines of the muscled panes of his chest and arms visible under the well-tailored, cornflower blue suit he wore. He looked as ravishing as a courtier, which he would have looked like were it not for the two short swords strapped to either side of his hips that glinted under the aureate lights illuminating the corridor.

"What have you been up to today Theo?", I asked him as we turned a sharp corner into a shadowy corridor.

"Preparing for King's Elrod's trip to the Palace of Diamonds", I stopped dead. A thousand questions swirled in my head. Why was he coming here? Nefta had sent spies into his court and he was going to meet with her? I resumed my leisurely place, looking as if I stopped to smooth invisible creases of my dresses.

We travelled to the Queen's private quarters, the full west wing of the Palace, discernible by the twinkling crown that rested on a pillar of white velvet outside the tall, oak doors that marked the entrance. The crown was magnificent, encrusted with the finest sapphires I'd ever seen and the largest diamond I'd ever seen lay in the centre. Pulling my gaze away, the guards posted outside of the doors opened them, a few muttered words to Theodore to which he returned a solemn nod.