Threads of Treachery: Chapter 4

The court was about half a day's ride, a little longer than the walk to town, but was more straightforward. I followed a road that led out of town, opting for a quieter one, not wishing to be held up by the carts and wagons that occupied the busier roads.

The road was lined with similar trees as those in the forest, but the coruscating shades of green were traded for the light golden sheen that glinted from the crisp white of the thin layer of snow that lightly dusted the surrounding ground.

I was thankful for the fur-lined cloak I'd chosen to wear this morning as Coeus slowed from a gallop. Despite the gleaming rays of sunlight, the trees offered little protection from the icy wind that brushed against my skin. It's cold fingers brushing against my cheeks and hands that lay exposed to the elements.

The sun was mere rays of dull light by the time I veered off the main path, taking a small, rocky path on the left. The light further dimmed as I entered the cool shade of a patch of trees, ducking from the branches as I travelled nearer to court. Coeus was so tall, I had to lay almost flat against his neck, my arms wrapping around the muscles there.

After a few minutes, the trees cleared and the court stood before us. The building was one of the largest in the Kingdom and predated its founding. The building made the shape of a rectangular, made of white stone, with several domes and spires that shot high into the bleeding pink and orange sky as the sun made its descent. The ancientness of the building was clear in the ornate details that decorated the exterior of the building.

The door to the court was closed. That would be unusual if today was an ordinary day. The people were encouraged to bring their grievances to the court and to watch the proceedings. The townspeople must have been right and there was a trial taking place. The large, oak doors concealed the interior of the court from the external world.

The crest of the Kingdom was placed above the doors. In the centre of the crest was a vertical sword, the emerald stone gently resting in the centre of its handle. The outline of a dove lay across the point of the sword, symbolising the Kingdom's commitment to preventing war and keeping the harmony between the Kingdom's. The symbol lay inside a shield, similarly, showing a commitment to protecting those who inhabited the kingdoms and allowing them to prosper.

I dismounted rather ungracefully, stumbling slightly as my boots made contact with the gravel. I could feel the sensation of Rupert's hands around my waist and everything inside me screamed to go back home and hide under my covers, as I'd done after I'd first met the man made of shadows.

I tied Coeus to a small wooden pole that was embedded deep in the ground, and as I finished tying the knot, I heard the creaking of the large wooden doors. I saw the huge, wooden doors swing open, and a woman walk out, animatedly speaking to the man who's arm she hung on to. Both were clearly courtiers. The woman was wearing a deep crimson dress, that fell to the floor and tucked tightly into her waist. The man wore a tailored, navy brown pair of trousers and a well-pressed, matching jacket with the same emerald brooch that Father wore. One of his buttons had become undone at the top, and the white undershirt he wore was visible.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, I quickly made my way to where the shadows crowded against the wall and quietly travelled the length of it, to the wooden doors which remained cracked open enough for me to slip inside.

I didn't know how I would be able to hide as I stood in the foyer. The court was surprisingly light inside, the translucent, glass roof allowing much of the remaining evening sunlight to shine into the entrance way. The floors were made of flat, cream stone and the walls were painted a light green, similar to the colour of the walls of my room at home.

A tapestry hung from each of the surrounding walls, hanging from the tops of the high ceilings, falling about an inch above the floor. The one on the left was the most eye-catching, the man in the centre must be the King, the deep scar that cut from his brow down to his mouth making him distinct. Even without the scar, the broad shoulders, strong set of his jaw and strong stature would have made him easily recognisable.