Threads of Treachery: Chapter 6

The shadows seemed to swirl around the approaching man. Even the wind didn't dare to brush his skin or breathe too loudly. I could feel the warm trickle of blood down my arm, staining the bark and gravel a deep red.

I could hear Aphina yelling, "Run, Seraphina", but I wasn't afraid here.

Despite Father's warnings, the Plutus Forest seemed to beckon to me. It's lush, earthy scents that reeked of unease and mystery were like a magnet to the girl who'd spent all summer reading adventure novels.

"When the skies threaten to turn to ash, you will be ready to take what the Earth beckons for you to receive", the deep, gravelly voice of the dark shadow exclaimed and became a cloud of black smoke.

A chill crept down my spine, turning my limbs leaden and my hands clammy with sweat and blood. I waited for the creatures to come, to scream and lash out.

Instead, they allowed me to step, over the bridge, undisturbed.

_________________

The ground crunched under the Prince's feet as he pulled Seraphina's limp body to his chest. The laceration on her back wasn't deep, just a large flesh wound that traced from her shoulder blade to the small of her back.

The distant lights of Bluebell Cottage glistened on the silver surface of the lake just outside the cottage, it's surface as reflective as a mirror, blurring the lights into unfocused dots.

A small part of his soul urged him to wake her up, tell her to pack her things and leave tonight. Maybe tell her to head to the southern region, Chrysaris, and find refuge in the Blue Mist Mountains or by the small town near Selkie's Cove.

He laid Seraphina's delicate body on the mat outside of the cottage and walked away.

__________________

The room came into focus. The small coffee table littered with familiar leather bound books and circular stains from the bottom of mugs.

A shiver crept down my spine as I thought about the words he had whispered to me, so quiet that Aphina couldn't hear, but so I couldn't miss them. What did he mean? The sky turning to ash and the Earth beckoning me to receive something all sounded so mystical and prophetic. I didn't know what the Earth would beckon for me to receive, other than savage hunger and a dearth of opportunities. But I needed to clear my head if I was to escape before the Prince came and arrested me.

"We need to leave in the next hour. If she's not awake, we'll just have to carry her", Mother's steady voice cut through the whirling sense of confusion that seemed to be fogging my mind.

I slowly sat up, willing my mind to still so I could recollect my thoughts. I knew I dreamt of the shadow man, but had I dreamt that father was dead too. I prayed as I scanned the room, my eyes snagged on the door mat and heaviness settled into my stomach as I saw that his shoes were not neatly placed there nor was his cloak hung up.

"He's dead", I blurted out, tears streaming down my cheeks as the familiar surge of anger hummed under my skin and my fingertips heated. I stared at them, I must have imagined the strange green vines that were laced around my fingers as I threw that knife.

Mother came and sat next to me, clasping my fingers in her too frail hands.

"We know, and we must leave now", Mother tugged on my hands, urging me to stand up.

Aphina was stood with a few bags by the small side door in the kitchen.

I nodded to mother, a silent acceptance of our fate, my throat too clogged from emotions to say anything else. I felt numb.

"We're going to go to the Lysanus Mountains, to one of my old friends", Mother whispered, I saw the morning sunlight glint off the blade of the dagger she'd strapped to her waist. I checked my dagger was still strapped to my thigh and made to follow them, when a fist pounded so hard on the front door, the glass panes in the window shook.

"I'll get it. You two need to go. They'll look down the side of the house if we don't answer, just get out", I watched them both hesitate, but we didn't have time!

I took Aphina's face in my hands, "Go! Let me help, I got us into this mess", a look of confusion flashed over her face. Clearly they hadn't heard about the incident with the Prince.

"Meet us by Friar's Tavern by midday", mother kissed my brow quickly. I watched as they both slipped through the door and into the morning sunlight.

The door flew open as I took a deep breath and gathered myself for the surge of royal soldiers that surely awaited me.

I saw the tall men, clad in expensive-looking armour. But it wasn't the number of soldiers that surprised me, it was the colour of their armours and the crests they bore.

The soldiers wore light blue armour, their swords an abnormally light shade of silver with small diamonds encrusted into the pommel and the crest over their hearts. The crest didn't contain the familiar dove, but an arrow and a sword crossed with an eye laid over them.

The crest of the Kingdom of Treasures and Knowledge. My knees trembled as the soldiers surrounded me.

"What, why are you here?", my voice was weak as I felt the startlingly cold feel of metal on my skin as my hands were bound before me.

The room swayed as I looked around the room. I couldn't discern a face in the room as tears blurred my vision and my knees gave way. They hit the wooden floor with a crunch, and the world once again went black as the pommel of a sword hit the back of my head and oblivion swallowed me up.