Threads of Treachery: Chapter 10

The carriage glided up the sleek, white drive that led to the Palace. I peered out of the carriage window to assess the Palace, looking for any possible escape routes, how many guards were posted and where, how tall the fences and hedges were in the sloping lawns. The Queen's private residence was huge. The palace towered high above the capital, an obnoxiously large building which was on the lower half made of smooth, white stone. The towers and spires jutted high into the colourful evening sky and were made of either glass or diamond, I wasn't sure as the ruby-hued sky gave the strange illusion that the spires and towers were on fire. The carriage was slowly moving up the drive, I thought maybe the driver had a flare for the dramatics as the wheels rolled so slow I thought I might go a little insane by the time we reached the flat expanse of ground that the Palace rested upon.

The carriage stopped at another set of gates, made of a brilliant blue material I hadn't seen before and the royal crest engraved on the two large handles that the guards pulled open. Another obstacle, I thought, as the carriage drove a few more feet and stopped. There would be little chance for escape here. Even if I cleared this impossibly high fence, it was about half a mile down the drive to the second set of gates, which I would have to find a way through as there was no way in hell I was getting over them.

I could see Theodore giving me a slightly puzzled look as he opened the carriage door and I stepped outside into the crisp evening air. I would never fail to appreciate the cool kiss of the breeze against my stained and dusty skin, not when I also remembered the stale air that filled the cavernous rooms of the mines. I could still remember the way the smell of unwashed bodies filled my nostrils and didn't think the scent of death would ever not cling to my skin, my hair, my body. As I slowly inhaled the evening air, I relished in the scent of pine and freshly cut grass as I pictured the sharp angles of Rupert's face, softened by that infectious smile of his that lit up his sublime brown eyes.

The wind wrapped around me like a comforting hug, breathing cool tendrils down my heated skin as I stepped inside the palace. The entranceway was surprising light for this time of day, the huge glass dome above streaking light onto the pristine white tiles which were flecked with about a thousand different shades of gold. There was little furniture in the entrance dome. Torches were hung at regular increments against the walls and a small side-table had been placed in the small crevice near the doors, but nothing sat atop it.

The room was not plain or boring in any sense of the word. The walls were what stood out. They were all painted with what looked to be different symbols and ancient writing. On my right, I could see a small scene playing out, a strange-looking creature with pointed ears and a strange blue orb that hung about a foot about their heads. To the left of that small portrait, there were various symbols, some looked like flowers, some stars and some moons. They must mean something in some forgotten language, perhaps there were inscriptions across the Kingdoms that sung to some long dead language. I breathed a heavy sigh, wishing I could learn more about the ancient world, before the Kingdoms were established. But so many libraries were burnt down during the Great War. I'd read about one named the Orb that resided in what was now the Kingdom of Passion and Insight that was said to be 10 stories tall, lined with books from floor to ceiling, which was the first to burn. The Unconquerable were to blame for that, wishing to destroy any books that gave clues as to why they'd lost their magic so many years ago.

Theodore was chatting with a young lady in the small room that led off the entryway. She was clearly a courtier, with a stormy grey gown with star-shaped black stones trailing down the front. I'd never seen a dress like it, other than on the Queen. It was so well-fitted I wondered how she even got it on. The courtiers at home were well-dressed, but the women didn't wear overtly-expensive or lavish-looking gowns. Most opted for an outfit similar to the men, green pants and tunics.