Vol.18 Ch.46: The Emperor's Indifference

Jin never cared for this custom where both teams gathered in the center of the stage just to say "good game". It always felt shallow and devoid of purpose.

"Good game"? Please. Jin scoffed. Both teams made tons of mistakes. Would anybody unironically call any of these games "good"?

Despite his objections, Jin dragged himself to the stage and pretended to say "good game" along with everybody else. However, he didn't actually utter a word out loud. He simply couldn't bring himself to do so, so he only moved his mouth, nothing more.

Well, that's that. Jin was more than ready to take his leave after this pointless exchange, however...

"Yo!" A boy from the other team called out, apparently in Jin's direction. "Awesome game there, dude!"

"Huh." Jin paused and gave the energetic guy a mixed look.

"Ya really strong, yo! Mad respect."

"Thanks, I suppose." It's not that I'm particularly strong. You're all just too weak.

"Ya strong alright, but next time we ain't gonna lose, believe it!" the boy declared boldly out of the blue.

"Huh." Jin didn't know how to even start responding to that nonsensical claim. In fact, he wasn't even sure whether he should respond at all. Frankly, he had no idea which player from Stratus he was even speaking to.

"Oh, I'm Gunz, by the way," the boy finally introduced himself.

"Hmm. I see." Jin nodded. I had a feeling he was a carefree fellow.

No logical player would insist on landing headshots without any added benefits. Therefore, Gunz had to be a "special" kind of fellow to pull something absurd like this so religiously.

Yes, he looks "special", alright. Jin nodded to himself. An idiot, basically.

There was no denying Gunz had impressive mechanical talent. Most likely, even in Korea, he would've been considered talented.

He might even be good enough to be scouted to some club. Jin thought. There are many scouts who put mechanical skill first, so this guy would've shown up on their radars for sure.

In that aspect, and that aspect alone, Gunz was arguably an impressive player. But overall, Jin wasn't impressed with the guy at all.

"So yeah, next time!" Gunz repeated his nonsense. "We all gonna get like ten times stronger before the regionals, and then we'll return to defeat y'all! So, ya better be ready, dude!"

"Hmm. I doubt it." Jin shrugged and that was the entirety of his input on the matter.

"Wait, that's all?" Gunz asked. "That's all ya got to say?"

"Big talk is waste of time. If you want to prove something, do it in game."

"Dang, you don't even see us, do you?"

"Hm? I do see you."

"I mean as competition, dude," Gunz said. "You don't actually consider us strong opponents, do ya?"

"No."

"Whoa, so straightforward, haha." Gunz laughed awkwardly. "But, I get it. Ya did kinda dominate the game and stuff, so you have the right to feel like we're no match for ya."

"Because you aren't."

"But hey, don't forget: we did score one kill on ya! And next time, we'll score a bunch more!"

"No, that was one-time thing," Jin asserted. "It won't happen again."

That one death was an anomaly. It's something that shouldn't have happened.