Vol.18 Ch.32: A Professional Cocky Player

Apprentece advanced into Kai's territory as if he owned the place. Then, WHAM! He swung his sledgehammer at Kai's bowmen, deleting a sizable chunk of their HP.

However, this damage wasn't even worth paying attention to. The skill's damage scaled with the Orc's power to an extent, but this damage wasn't nearly as dreadful as the base power of Orc's basic attacks.

WHAM! The Orc swung his sledgehammer again, crashing it into the bowmen!

This second strike reduced the bowmen's HP to almost nothing, but they still lived. Despite hitting the bowmen twice in succession, Apprentece was unable to delete them from existence.

Well? How do you like that mid-game scaling, huh? Kai snarked at her opponent, which was the only form of retaliation she could mount while retreating. Unfortunately, she was all bark and no bite right now.

I SO wanna shoot this cocky bastard! But no, I can't. Not with my basics, at least. Instead of mindlessly lashing at the guy, Kai took a deep breath and carefully gauged the situation.

She was now far outside the Orc's reach, even his Scourge wasn't a threat. From here, Kai was free to mount a long-ranged counterattack!

But, this guy doesn't even give a damn. Kai made a face. First, he cleared the bowmen, and now he's doing the swordsmen. He even dares to turn his back on me. I'm REALLY gonna smack him hard!

While the opponent was preoccupied with Kai's swordsmen, she summoned a Magia Orb and immediately canceled it into Repelling Force. BAM! It was like a sniper shot!

With his back turned to Kai, there was no way Apprentece could see this attack coming! And of course, Kai's aim was spot on. So, this was going to be a clean hit! ... or, not?

WHISH! The Orc rolled aside in the nick of time, dodging the snipe by a hair's breadth.

"Wha-?!" Kai gasped. But, he couldn't even see it! Did he react to the sound!? This was a technique that only Kai was supposed to be able to use!

Well, surely she wasn't the ONLY one in the entire world who could use it. But, this had to be a hella rare skill. At least, Kai hadn't met many opponents who relied on their hearing to this extent. Even Lars, the mechanical expert, didn't seem to do it as much.

Yet, Apprentece did it as if it was the most natural thing in the world. What's more, he rolled to the right while Kai's shot was aimed at the left. In other words, he even dodged in the best direction possible!

Does he have eyes on his back or something??? Kai's jaw dropped in disbelief. Even if he heard the shot, how did he know to roll in the opposite direction without seeing the shot? It gotta be a lucky guess, right?

The whole thing triggered Kai to no end. That snipe should've been bullseye, yet it completely missed the mark. Dammit!

The only consolation was that her orb did hit the enemy minions. Though it didn't even hit all of them.

Four of the six enemy minions were previously dragged into the Dimensional Collapse, so they were separated from the rest of the pack. As such, Kai had to shoot her Magia Orb to the left in order to hit these guys along with Apprentece.

Wait, could it be that he read into that...? A shudder ran through her. Is that why he rolled to the right? Did he assume I'll aim toward the minions? Is that it?

If so, it was a big brain outguess right there. And honestly, it was hella weird. The guy looked as if he was parading on the lane without a single care in the world, but could it be that he was actually thinking hard about Kai's next move at every step of the way?