The Birthday Parties

"Tomorrow our lawyer, Jospeh Stanford is coming by." Grandma said.

"Ugh- crazy sissy's dad." Lorelai replied.

"That's terrible. Sissy was a good friend of yours." Grandma replied.

"Mom, Sissy talked to her stuffed animals and they answered her." Lorelai replied.

"Let's start a new topic." Rory replied.

"You're impossible." Grandma replied to Lorelai.

"She said new topic, mom." Lorelai replied.

"Everything's a joke. A punchline." Grandma replied.

"Okay, I'm sorry." Lorelai replied.

"My daughter, Henry Youngman." Grandma replied.

"Sorry for that.  A little trouble in our China office." Grandpa replied. "What did I miss?"

"I was being impossible then I turned into a Jewish comedian." Lorelai responded.

"Oh." He said. "Well, continue."

"Thank you. Where was I?" Grandma asked.

"Joseph Stanford is coming tomorrow." I said.

"Yes so,  girls. Hilary and Rory. Your grandfather and I thought it might be nice after for you to go around and pick out what you'd like us to leave you in our will." Grandma replied.

"This dinner has made a slight turn." I said.

"Take a look at that desk in my office. It's a really fine Georgian piece." Grandpa replied.

"Why don't I ever bring a tape recorder to these dinners?" Lorelai groaned.

"Anything you want to leave me is fine." Rory replied.

"I quite like your perfume collection." I said.

"Hilary, I can get you all new ones instead of those used upstairs but have something long lasting. Furniture or a decorative piece from the living rooms. Or a piece of jewellery or two. Whatever you'd like." Grandma replied.

__

I put my books in my locker and got ready for the next lesson when Tristan came up to me.

"Hey." He said.

"Hi, Tristan." I replied.

"I just wanted to say 'Happy Birthday'." He said.

"How did you know?" I asked. "And it isn't my birthday."

"No but it will be. On Friday at 4:03 in the morning Hilary Leigh Gilmore-

"What is that?" I asked. I took the letter out of his hands and observed the invitation from my grandparents. "Who else got these?"

"I don't know. Everyone in our class I think." Tristan smiled as I huffed at him.

"I have to go." I said.

"I'll see you Friday, birthday girl!" Tristan laughed as I groaned at him.

__

I got back home and the maid was awaiting my return, leading me to dinner as I sat down with my grandmother and grandfather.

"Hi." I said as Grandma lifted her head from the newspaper and told me to sit down.

"What took you so long? We had to tell the maid to heat the chicken up again." Grandma asked.

"I wanted to speak about my history assignment. Anyway, there is a birthday party happening that apparently I didn't agree to. Neither did Rory." I said.